Western Digital ext hdd and their WD SmartWare software

Reaction score
Has anybody purchase one of the Western Digital ext hdd and installed the WD SmartWare? If so, how do you like the software? Is there an option to not install it in case you don't want to use it? It appears that there isn't a separate install disk for their WD SmartWare software so it seems that it's built right into the hard drive itself. If choose not to install it when I first plug in the harddrive and then I unmount the hard drive, does it keep asking me if I want to install it each time I plug it back in or in the case that I leave it plugged in, does it ask me if I want to install the sfotware each time I power the device back on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Usually it just shows an icon you have to click it to install it I just use Time Machine
and choose not to use their Smart ware. So no it does not prompt you at least on the Studio model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.