Weird Date/Time Issue When Powering Up MacBook after water spill

Reaction score
So, about 36 hours ago, I spilled about 5 oz of water on my MacBook. The machine immediately turned off. I turned it upside down, removed the battery, wiped up everything I could, etc. About 15 minutes later I put it upside down in a big bag of dry rice.

This morning, I decided to give it a shot. I replaced the battery, plugged in the charger (which did its normal green-to-orange thing), and powered it up. After a longer than usual time, it got to the log-on screen.

I logged on, it took me to my desktop, and things started loading. It gave me a notice that said something along the lines of "The Date is currently set to March 24, 2001. This may cause some programs to operate erratically."

I closed out that window and immediately clicked the date/time area in the upper right corner. It said there the date was "December 31, 2000." About 2 seconds later, the MacBook shut off.

I unplugged it, pulled the battery out, and put it back in the rice. Any idea what the heck is going on here? In other words, am I screwed, or should I try it again in a day or two?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Spills almost always cause problems. Sometimes right away, other times the problems may occur in the future. Please read out Sticky notice at the top of this forum regarding spills. Most folks are anxious about their machine and turn it on too soon after the spill occurs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.