Ipad freezes while restoring

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Core i7 2.66 500GB 15" - Mac mini Core i5 2.5 500GB - Iphone 4 32GB - 32GB Ipad 2
Hey Everyone, I was updating my ipad 2 through itunes yesterday when one of my kids disconnected the ipad before it was done updating. Due to this the ipad won't restart, even a hard restart (holding home button and on/off) and just displays an itunes logo with a USB cable. Also Itunes won't shut down because it says that my ipad is in the process of updating. In order for me to quit itunes i had to shut down my MBP by holding the power button, no other shut down option would work. I then connected the ipad back to itunes and it said because it was in recovery mode the ipad would have to be restored. I went ahead with resorting the ipad and everything seemed to be going fine until it progressed to the same point in which the ipad was disconnected while updating and then it would not finish resorting i had to again shut down holding the power button. Has anyone had this happen to them, or can offer advice on where to go from here?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Core i7 2.66 500GB 15" - Mac mini Core i5 2.5 500GB - Iphone 4 32GB - 32GB Ipad 2
Ya, i wish i had an answer for us. I've tried running through all of apples generic trouble shooting guidelines and none of them have helped so I set up an appointment with the apple store on Saturday and i hope they have some answers for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac - large and fast ;)
Same exact issue here. Why do I bother with a x.xx.x.x.x. update anyway...?

All troubleshooting attempted twice - still nothing. Looks like I will need to visit my Apple store too.

And no, i'm not spending a dime there until this is resolved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac - large and fast ;)
SO, a little update...better than another question, me thinks...

Several hours later I hear a chirp from my lost and frozen iPad. Though plugged directly into my Mac and waiting all last night for it to charge even a tad, it woke up and the screen said "time to restore you iPad" or something like that.

30+ minutes later it's still cruising to do just that and I think & believe that my fav Apple item is back in business.

Allllllllll good.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Has anyone heard that these update troubles can be caused if you are updating various software via WIFI? I guess it is "highly recommended" to update all software using an ethernet cable because it is a more stable connection to the internet (which makes sense). That being said i'm sure 99% of people (including myself) don't comply with this recommendation and never have problems, but i just thought i would throw that out there to see if anyone else has ran into "wifi induced" software update problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
iPad ios updates can only be done via USB...direct. (Apps. updated wirelessly)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, i guess i thought it was self evident that i was talking about my MBP connected to WIFI and not the actual Ipad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought the title said: " iPad freezes while restoring " responded to post #7

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
your correct, that is the title and that is the overall issue...but personally i've never heard of an ipad connected to the internet through an ethernet cable.

I guess it is "highly recommended" to update all software using an ethernet cable because it is a more stable connection to the internet .

I apologize for the confusion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not possible...( ethernet )...USB via computer only.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha i know! i should have ended with some "?!?!?!" in order for my humor to come across.

Reaction score
Same Issue

I am having the same issue. I am running windows 7 on my computer and have an IPad 2 that is frozen and won't complete the restore process.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your Ipad most likely has a corrupt index, take it to your nearest apple store and have them replace it

Reaction score
Got it fixed.

I called on line support, still irks me that they only give 90 days. Anyway, they told me to disconnect my laptop from the dock station before attempting restore. He said for some reason the docks often interfere with restore process. Don't understand it, but anyway restore worked fine while undocked. Hope this helps someone.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm glad to hear you got it working again! I'm not sure how apple support works but i've found real inconsistency when i've called about various issues. That being said apple is no different from any other company offering technical assistance...it's all about the person you talk to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.