which format to use for ext hdd?

Reaction score
I'm currently in the market to get an ext hdd to back up my hd video files and I'm trying to understand some of the major differences between FAT32 and the format that Apple uses.

First, please correct me if I'm wrong. Does Apple uses NTFS fomat? I understand that FAT32 is compatible between PC and Macs but I understand that it limits a file size to no more than 4gb and so that could be a probably as using it to back up hd video fottage could easily exceed 4gb. Are there any size limitations with Apple's format?

WD sells ext hdd already formated to work on the Mac operating system and this sounds like the easy route to go. Can someone enlighten me with Apple's format and whether or not file size will be a problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Apple uses HFS+, there is no problem with size limits. You can format any drive as HFS+, you don't need to buy one that's already pre-formatted.

But as to which format you should use, it will depend on what you're using the drive for an whether you'll be sharing it with a Windows machine.

If you are, FAT is your best option.

If you're not, the HFS+ is definitely the way to go. Also if you plan to use it for Time Machine also, it needs to be HFS+

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
NTSF can be read by Macs. They just can't write to them natively. You need to do some tweaking in terminal or use third party applications to get a Mac to write to a NTSF formated device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.