Coming from PC: MacMini 2.5Ghz, or iMac 21.5" 2.7Ghz?

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a new Mac for iOS development work, along with photo editing (lightroom/photoshop & aperture) and some light video editing. The two 2011 Macs I'm considering are:

- 2.5Ghz MacMini with 4GB ram (will probably up that to 8GB)
- 2.7Ghz iMac 21" with 4GB ram (again, will probably up this to 8GB)

The MacMini is cheaper (which is nice), but also has a slower 5400RPM hard drive when compared to the 7200RPM drive in the MacMini. That, and the 21.5" monitor that is part of the iMac are probably the biggest differences that matter to me (though I know the video chip used in the iMac is also more powerful).

This would be my first Mac. I already have a powerful PC that I built earlier in the year (i7 processor, 8GB ram, etc). Don't want to run Hackintosh either.

So, which way would you go here? Is the MacMini powerful enough to do video and photo editing? I know it's fine for development, as there are plenty of people using the older MacMini with no issues. My main question is with the photo editing. Is the 21.5" monitor a nice enough perk of the iMac to make it worth spending an extra $400 there? (BTW, I don't want the 27" monitor, because of eye strain of the small fonts there).

Any thoughts, or good resources to point towards? Thanks much in advance. I'm looking forward to joining the Mac community. Love my iPhone and iPad - no other competing products come close to the polish and functionality of these.

Thanks, Chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think the latest Mini would do what you need just fine, but I really like the display on the iMacs. It's also nice to have the whole machine and display together.

If it were me doing this and had the extra $$$, I would go with the iMac.

BTW, I own both a 20" iMac and older Mini. The Mini has been first rate and never an issue, but I just love the iMac and that display!

OP
F
Reaction score
I think the latest Mini would do what you need just fine, but I really like the display on the iMacs. It's also nice to have the whole machine and display together.

If it were me doing this and had the extra $$$, I would go with the iMac.

BTW, I own both a 20" iMac and older Mini. The Mini has been first rate and never an issue, but I just love the iMac and that display!

Thanks.

BTW - I saw there is a "Switcher Hangout" sub forum. That seems like it's more appropriate for my post. Can you move this thread to there (if that is the right place for this)? Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
With the better graphics, included wireless mouse & keyboard, and 21.5" display...the iMacs are almost always a better value.:)

Plus you may not have considered looking at the refurbished computers at the online Apple Store (just as good as new, same warranty). You can get this 21.5" iMac for $929:

Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3 processor - Apple Store (U.S.)

For $1019...you can get this 21.5" iMac...with a better video card & 2.5ghz quad-core "i5" cpu:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC309LL/A?mco=MjMwMTc4OTE

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Good idea since you are going to be a switcher. Done!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.