Lion Os login problems using trackpad Macbook Pro 2011

Reaction score
Hi a very quick question on login problems with the new OS Lion. I use the trackpad (no mouse) and when try to click (select) using this at the login stage it has no function. When I login (which is ok with one user but not possible with two as I cant select) the trackpad selection works fine.

It appears that user settings for the OS take place after login so i have to use a mouse to select prior to this. Is this right?

thank you in anticipation

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You're saying Lion doesn't recognize you pressing down and clicking on your trackpad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch 2020 iMac; 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 processor; 32GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5500 XT; 2 TB SSD
If you have "Tap to Click" enabled in your trackpad System Preferences pane and are thinking that will work on the login screen, it won't. As Schweb indicates, you need to actually press the trackpad and have it click. "Tap to Click" will work after you login as it is a preference for the user account you select.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If you have "Tap to Click" enabled in your trackpad System Preferences pane and are thinking that will work on the login screen, it won't. As Schweb indicates, you need to actually press the trackpad and have it click. "Tap to Click" will work after you login as it is a preference for the user account you select.

Mark

And if that's what's going on, it's hard to tell from the OP, then that's actually not new with Lion.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi thanks for taking the time to read the post and in the advice. I have tried to use the physical click of the trackpad but get the same problem. If i plug in a mouse then no problems but trackpad while allowing me to move the mouse will not let me select, any suggestions?

James

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.