Old MacBook Pro 15 can't handle Lion can I upgrade the hardware?

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro with a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo Processor. I can't run Lion with this (sigh) and I really can't afford a new computer right now. Can I upgrade the Processor? The sales guy at Apple rolled right over the question, politely but still.
Anyone know if I can do it? Is it worth it? I'm having a hard time adjusting to being a 10.6 in a 10.7 world.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not possible without replacing the logic board and even at that, it's doubtful you would be successful in fitting a new LB in that machine. Also, considering the cost would exceed the value of your MBP, it just wouldn't be worth it.

Why not shop around for a good used MBP Core 2 Duo or better? You might be able to pick up a bargain if you do some careful looking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm having a hard time adjusting to being a 10.6 in a 10.7 world.

Why? It's not like 10.6 hit end of support immediately when Lion was announced. It's still a very viable operating system, and likely will be for years at this point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 inch 2.0 ghz i7 500 gb hd 4 gb ram
Why? It's not like 10.6 hit end of support immediately when Lion was announced. It's still a very viable operating system, and likely will be for years at this point.

unfortunately you cant upgrade the processor in a macbook pro but like he said 10.6 is still a very reliable operating system and is not going anywhere anytime soon and is still the most popular os for mac and if you look at the apple support page there is still support for tiger in 2011

if you want a good deal for a mac you can always buy refurbished and get one under 1000$ like the white macbook with a core 2 duo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.7GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Downgraded to Snow Leopard 
Your not missing a great deal with Lion. I actually found it caused a quite a few performance issues with my 2011 13" i7 MBP, so I installed snow leopard. Now the machine runs like a dream, I'm sticking with snow leopard until some of the issues with Lion are ironed out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.