Versions in Lion… a "hidden" way to browse the document's prior saves

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
So I was experimenting with the annotation options on a screencap in Preview when my hand slipped and I clicked on the titlebar of the document and stumbled across an interface for Versions that I have yet to read about. Basically, the name of the file up in the titlebar doubles as a menu for accessing the version history of the document. As soon as you make an edit (in this case, I drew an arrow), Preview automatically saves an edited version of the file and appended "Edited" next to the name in the titlebar. If you close it and re-open it, the "Edited" appendage to the name is no longer there, but the version history is still available. Click on the name at any point, even if it still says "Edited", then go see the prior saved versions Time Machine-style.

Cap 1.jpg

Cap 2.jpg

Cap 3.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
This is true, but to be honest.. there's so much new stuff in Lion.. it's been easy to miss. Nice post LB.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
hmmm nothing apple didn't show before I think.

Not all of us watch Apple's presentations. I haven't even seen this way of browsing the versions mentioned anywhere. I'm just tickled because it suddenly makes it seem easier and more sensible to me, even though those same items are on the regular menu (well except the Time Machine-like interface).

Reaction score
Not all of us watch Apple's presentations. I haven't even seen this way of browsing the versions mentioned anywhere. I'm just tickled because it suddenly makes it seem easier and more sensible to me, even though those same items are on the regular menu (well except the Time Machine-like interface).

gotcha but yep its a pretty neat feature :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Excellent LB!!!! Thanks for posting that. I think it was talked about at the WWDC presentation but with all they shared about Lion, I forgot about that! That will save me from so much trouble in the future especially if I make a mistake and save it.

Versions is a lot more than some thought it was. VERY useful.

Thanks again LB!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.