Macbook Pro Display/Logic Board Question (Pictures)

Reaction score
I acquired an broken Macbook Pro off eBay. The display will not work, but I connected to an external monitor and everything works fine. After opening it up it looks like the display connecter has been fried. I could install a new display, but I am unsure if that will fix it because it looks like the connecter on the logic board also might have been fried. I will attach a few pictures. Please let me know what you think.

I know the one of the pictures is blurry, but it was the best my camera would do.

22.jpg

It is hard to see, but in the red square is the black part that looks like it has been burnt/fried. It may just be the plastic that has melted over the solder but it is next to impossible to tell.

11.jpg

This one is also kind of hard to see, but in the red boxes are what looks like to be the burned/fried spots.

Long story short, do you think a display replacement would work, or does the damage of the connecter on the logic board look too extensive? Thanks for looking!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The video connector on the logic board is indeed burned. Since that connector is surface mounted it's going to be difficult to change it out. Also, without knowing what caused it, it might be a good idea to swap out the entire logic board. You can hunt around and find refurbished logic boards but they're not inexpensive by any means.

On the other hand, I would try to clean it up first and then test it with a new video cable and the new LCD. What might have happened is the old video cable cracked and shorted out burning the connector.

OP
T
Reaction score
The video connector on the logic board is indeed burned. Since that connector is surface mounted it's going to be difficult to change it out. Also, without knowing what caused it, it might be a good idea to swap out the entire logic board. You can hunt around and find refurbished logic boards but they're not inexpensive by any means.

On the other hand, I would try to clean it up first and then test it with a new video cable and the new LCD. What might have happened is the old video cable cracked and shorted out burning the connector.

I guess I will try it with a new LCD. If that still doesn't do the trick I will just sell it as it is and will most likely break even. Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.