iPhone 4 home button not working

Reaction score
Just recently my 1 yr old iPhone 4 has developed a problem with the home key.

The home key doesn't respond very well at all and it's really difficult to double press it too.

How can I get this fixed? I bought it outright directly from the apple website.

(I'm in the UK if that makes any difference)

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
If it has not been a full year since purchased, you are under warranty. Did you purchase additional 2 yrs of Apple Care? That would help if you are beyond the first year standard warranty.
Either way, take it to the Apple Store to see what's wrong with it. They can at least diagnose the problem for you and then go from there.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

My apple store is about 1hrs drive away. Just drive it over to there and hand it to them?

How can I back everything up invade they want to swap it or give me a new one? Is there any chance I'll be without a phone if they send it away?

Thanks again

Reaction score
I outlined this in a recent blog post, but my experience with the Apple Store employee who helped me was less than satisfactory. I told this man about my iPhone 4 having issues with the home button, and he said the following things:

1. You know, dude, you just gotta quit out of applications sometimes. It could be the software you're running.
2. Well, I mean, a phone is just like a computer, you gotta restart it every once in a while, it's good for the system
3. Yeah, what you could do is just do a factory reset of the phone. That way you know it's not the software, and it's an issue with the hardware. Obviously a problem with that is you'd lose all the stuff on your phone.

This is *after* I explained to him that I regularly close out of apps and restart my phone, because I came over from an Android phone (killing apps is like breathing for them).

Needless to say, I was not pleased that this so-called 'Genius' gave me the advice every dumbass that works in a Verizon kiosk gives to some technologically-ignorant tween.

Edit: They'll generally check their stock to see if they have anything that they can give you right away. I doubt that you'll be out a phone for a while.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your help and advice.

1. Is the iPhone not uder warrenty for 24 months like most other phones?

2. Shall I book an appointment with a Genius then or just walk in?

3. Will they transfer the information on the phone to the new handset or is that my job?

4. How do I backup exactly what is on the phone and all the settings and transfer it to my new one, should it be replaced?

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
12 month warranty.

Yes, book an appt. (you can do it online)

They probably will transfer the info, but if not, all it involves it plugging it in when you get home and open iTunes. Go from there.

Every time you sync your iPhone to iTunes, it creates a backup. It's all right there on your computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.