Remove Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
I would like to remove Lion and re-install Snow Leopard. Best way?? Thanks for input. Van

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
There is only one way. Format your hard drive, and install Snow Leopard.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
Thanks for the info. Van

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
That is what I had to do on my iMac. I never could resolve the crashing issues with Lion. So I just reinstalled Snow Leopard from my SuperDuper back-up and all is well for now. On the flip side Lion runs stable but slow on my 2007 17" MacBook Pro, but would not run stable on my 2009 27" iMac. Look forward to the release of 10.7.1 or what ever number Apple assigns to the update. Good luck, hope you made a back up before you installed Lion.

C

chas_m

jetmech: I find your report so odd -- Lion completely reinvigorated my 2007 BlackBook, which is quite a step down from your 2007 machine. Everything I do -- particularly surfing -- is so much faster and graphically pleasing. I even got myself used to "natural scrolling" in like a day (I was not interested in it at first, but finally decided to give it an honest try).

About the only thing I don't see a use for in my use of Lion is Launchpad. So far.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
jetmech: I find your report so odd -- Lion completely reinvigorated my 2007 BlackBook, which is quite a step down from your 2007 machine. Everything I do -- particularly surfing -- is so much faster and graphically pleasing. I even got myself used to "natural scrolling" in like a day (I was not interested in it at first, but finally decided to give it an honest try).

About the only thing I don't see a use for in my use of Lion is Launchpad. So far.

Agreed here also.

Chas, I use Launchpad for the utilities menu. I find it easy to click and launch anything in the utilities menu from it. Maybe I am strange, but I like it just for that! :D Grin

C

chas_m

Hmmm, I'll give that a try dtravis.

Jetmech: I was just reading another thread where a user used OnyX on his system and it made a huge difference (presumably because he'd never done any other maintenance). Maybe that's the issue with your machine, just a thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
Thanks for the suggestions. Both of the Lion installs are/were CLEAN installs and not upgrades. I will admit that I had not run Onyx until today on my MacBook Pro, but I had used Disk Utility for regular maintenance on my iMac and MacBook Pro. Please don't take my post as a dislike for Lion. I do like it and will continue to use on my MBP. I just can't use it on my iMacs until Apple repairs the crashing issue. I did a google search a few days ago and it appears that many were having similar issues with the iMacs that had Lion installed.

On my iMac I did try to uninstall the extra ram and tried different pairs (at a suggestion from this forum), but the crashing issue did persist. It seemed to happen more on YouTube than with other applications, but the crashing was not limited to YouTube. The iMac runs flawlessly with SL installed.

It will be nice to get Lion back on my iMac since it looked great and I liked the graphical interface a lot.

I never tried it on my second iMac since I did not want to have crashing issues and my wife uses my other iMac, so would not be happy if it crashed during her online classes she takes.

Thanks and I'm open for suggestions. I'm on the road for a couple of weeks, so I only have my MBP until I get back home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
Hmmm, I'll give that a try dtravis.

Jetmech: I was just reading another thread where a user used OnyX on his system and it made a huge difference (presumably because he'd never done any other maintenance). Maybe that's the issue with your machine, just a thought.

I upgraded to Lion and like the others noted here have had no problem whatsoever with Lion and in fact the computing experience is better than SL IMHO.

That being said I was looking at the OnyX page and I don't see a version yet ready for Lion. Is this true or am I missing something? I see a beta and am assuming it is for Lion but I really don't want to even think of using a beta. (Not that I am going to try OnyX yet since I have a fairly clean system.)

Regards,

Pat

C

chas_m

OnyX's betas are remarkably safe (across their track record), but if you want to wait for the final by all means do so, shouldn't be long now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
I've got the Onyx Lion Beta version and have only used it once, but I have had no problems.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I've got the Onyx Lion Beta version and have only used it once, but I have had no problems.

Ditto on my end. I have the Lion Beta installed and it works just like it does in SL. So far no issues. The Beta's are quite good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Agreed here also.

Chas, I use Launchpad for the utilities menu. I find it easy to click and launch anything in the utilities menu from it. Maybe I am strange, but I like it just for that! :D Grin

Can you customize Launchpad? I like it but wish it had other programs in it that I use more frequently instead of loading up the dock, I prefer to use launchpad.

C

chas_m

1. There's no reason to "load up" the Dock. Ever.

All you have to do is put your applications folder in the dock (right side). That's it -- one-click access to every program you own.

2. Yes, you can customize Launchpad. It works just like an iOS device except you use the mouse/trackpad rather than your fingers. The Launchpad has EVERY program you own in it, you're just not looking at the other "pages" (little white dots at the bottom). You can move stuff from one page to another and group apps in folders. Put the ones you use most often (or groups of them) on the first "page."

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. There's no reason to "load up" the Dock. Ever.

All you have to do is put your applications folder in the dock (right side). That's it -- one-click access to every program you own.

2. Yes, you can customize Launchpad. It works just like an iOS device except you use the mouse/trackpad rather than your fingers. The Launchpad has EVERY program you own in it, you're just not looking at the other "pages" (little white dots at the bottom). You can move stuff from one page to another and group apps in folders. Put the ones you use most often (or groups of them) on the first "page."

I also do the Applications folder in the DOCK in List view. Makes it easy to find the app I want to launch. Only keep the important ones in the Dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Also you don't even need to put the Applications folder on the Dock. Just put your most used apps. Then use Spotlight to open the others when you need them. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also you don't even need to put the Applications folder on the Dock. Just put your most used apps. Then use Spotlight to open the others when you need them. :)

But actually typing in the first few letters of an app in Spotlight seems so 19th century! :D Grin

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
But actually typing in the first few letters of an app in Spotlight seems so 19th century! :D Grin
The command line users around here would call that blasphemy. :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The command line users around here would call that blasphemy. :p

Oops, Sorry Van, forgot about you, but think about it. Everything is going touch and IOS Menus! Soon people will not type anything but just think and it will appear on the screen! :D

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
. . . Soon people will not type anything but just think and it will appear on the screen! :D

I can imagine situations where that could get a person in real trouble. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.