Macbook Pro to Macbook Air Downgrade or Upgrade

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro 13", late 2009 model I think, it has 2.26ghz, 2gb ram and backlit keyboard.

Im interested in getting a macbook air 13", just wondering if this will be a downgrade or an upgrade.

Will the air perform near the same as a pro or will it perform like a dreaded netbook. Do they overheat

I do alot of video conversions with visualhub and will prob buy a external superdrive but thats not a problem

Any advice would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Have both a MB Pro (2010) and a new MBAir

No cooling problems with the Air whatsoever, remember it has no HDD! Because mine has a 256 gig SDD and a dual core 1.8 MH i7 processor it is lightening quick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 inch 2.0 ghz i7 500 gb hd 4 gb ram
no getting a macbook air is not a downgrade at all from a 2009 macbook pro dont forget that it has an ssd and has the new sandy bridge i5 (or i7) processor that has hyper threading so that when it needs to the os sees it as 4 cores and turbo boast so that the high end i7 can clock up to 2.7 ghz but if your going to be doing lots of video work get the macbook pro

hope this helps :)

Reaction score
ive actually joined this question to research more about the MBA. i dont want to put down 1700 and regret it. i know the hardware is great, but the video card is horrible imo for being integrated. i am afraid i would have problems with HD video. (not editing, viewing)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4
If your going to buy other products for the MBA to work like a MBP then you are better off just getting the MBP so you don't need to carry more around with you than need be. I have heard that the MBA is faster than the MBP but you lose utilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
ive actually joined this question to research more about the MBA. i dont want to put down 1700 and regret it. i know the hardware is great, but the video card is horrible imo for being integrated. i am afraid i would have problems with HD video. (not editing, viewing)

You wont have issues with playback of the average video on the internet. Even on my brand-new MBP with all the bells and whistles, I go watch full HD video on Vimeo.com, I have not seen anything but the integrated card running. Even at full screen.

Editing and gaming (more than just Flash-based Facebook games), then yes, the integrated card will be detrimental and you will be disappointed.

Always get he best you can afford. You will be less disappointed when the next version comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The OP never mentioned what they would be using it for and what sort of programs they might be running also will giving up the CD/DVD drive and extra ports that are built in the pro going to affect what you do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Actually they did and they mentioned buying an external superdrive as well.

To the OP:
As to the Air being an up/down grade from an older (3 years almost) then the Air would be an upgrade. I highly recommend going in and putting your hands on the machines if at all possible. Photos and text only do so much. Putting your eyes and hands on the machines makes a huge difference.

Reaction score
Editing and gaming (more than just Flash-based Facebook games), then yes, the integrated card will be detrimental and you will be disappointed.

Hmmm I have a 2011 MBP with the HD 3000 integrated chip and I can play dirt 2 medium settings at 30 frames per second, also red alert at medium settings, LEGO batman all high, LEGO indiana jones all high and don't forget Left for Dead 2 medium settings at more than 30 frames a second so yeah I wouldn't call that "disappointing".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.