• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Dvd + R Or Dvd - R?

Reaction score
Question of the year..
Whats the diffrence between the two?
My friend told me that they will only work with certain dvd players but he wasent too sure.

I know -R's work on my dvd player because i already have one, but i just got a pack for a gift that are +r's. I dont want to open it until im sure.

OP
blackmagicxx
Reaction score
dont know what it stands for but im talking about blank dvd to burn onto.
R = "recordable"? dunno :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
I believe "R" stands for recordable, just like "RW" stands for rewriteable. From what I understand, is that it is just like the betamax/vhs wars, and the blu-ray/hddvd wars, they are pretty much the same thing, but just different formats. From my experience, most DVD players work better with -r than with +r, but that is only from my experience.

The above statement is only my opinion, and has no backing what-so-ever.

S

sursuciofla

hondagus87 said:
I believe "R" stands for recordable, just like "RW" stands for rewriteable. From what I understand, is that it is just like the betamax/vhs wars, and the blu-ray/hddvd wars, they are pretty much the same thing, but just different formats. From my experience, most DVD players work better with -r than with +r, but that is only from my experience.

The above statement is only my opinion, and has no backing what-so-ever.

It does have backing because you are right on and I would have posted the same thing. As many others would because that's true. -R is backwards compatible, +R runs into issues with older players. It is definately a war in that media right now. +R is gaining the advantage unfortunately though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
tbh there is little difference in them just the fact that nearly all burners now support both formats shows there is no need to worry.

just go for what ever is cheapest :D

OP
blackmagicxx
Reaction score
ARG.. why would they do that
Oh well I guess - R's will do i know they work in my dvd player and if there is no diffrence why not.

Tks.

M

MartinAustin

The only difference between the two is specifications and compatibility. The media war is becoming somewhat more discernable in recent weeks, with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray squabbling over the HD movement. You can consider DVD-R and DVD+R to be the same thing. From what I have seen, DVD-R has the widest compatibility with settop players, but as sursuciofla pointed out, DVD+R is gaining more popularity.

Hope to help. Just use whatever works in your players. And use QUALITY media, not OfficeMax. ;)

OP
blackmagicxx
Reaction score
Cool Tks, i went with -r's because i already know they work on my dvd player
I guess thats all that matters

A

adex

i've got a smiliar problem - 15" titanium 667, combo drive. i've burned data discs on an external burner using DVD-R and DVD-RW and both get spat out as soon as i put them in. i assumed it must be a problem with DVD-R discs, but my friend has just given me a DVD+RW disc and the same thing happens... i know the discs work on PCs <spit> because i've sent data discs to friends and they work fine, and both kinds work on my friend's 12" 1ghz powerbook, but not on mine... am i being victimised??? hehehe any ideas anyone??? is it like blackmagicxx asks, a firmware issue??

peaceandlove

ade xxx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.