Hardware UUID: 6423BB18-640F-58AB-BD84-C8AA9DD3E715

Mail:
Version: 5.0
Last Modified: 6/27/11 12:28 AM
Kind: Intel
64-Bit (Intel): Yes
App Store: No

Upgraded to Lion through App store.

I cannot use mail after I upgraded to Lion. It appears Mail must import the messages that were in my mailboxes when I was running Snow Leopard. The import process keeps failing therefore I cannot open the Mail App. Every time I quit mail, with the expectation that my index will be repaired, and open mail to start the import process over again, the number of messages to import double, then triple, then quadruple and the Message Import Process fails.

Here are the events leading to my problem:

Once upgrade was complete I opened mail and got a pop up explaining the mailboxes needed to be imported before mail could open. [screen shot 1 attached (SS1)]

Importing began [Screen shot 2 (SS2) attached]

Import process began, completed and then received the message that the update failed. [screen shot 3 attached (SS3)]

As directed, clicked continue expecting the mail assistant to open but got this message instead.[screen shot 4 attached (SS4)]

Quit Mail. Opened Mail again, index now repaired if all went well, and started Message Import process again. Noticed the number of messages to be imported was much larger. Import/update process failed a second time.

Screen shot of ~Library/Mail attached (FinderSS1)
Noticed duplicated messages and the V2 Temp folder.

Screen shot of ~Library/Mail/Mailboxes attached (FinderSS2)

Screen shot of ~Library/Mail/V2-Temp attached (FinderSS3)

Comment on examples: All Finder screen shots use the ABC mailbox as the example. All other mailboxes are the same as the ABC.

Questions:
I am missing (or haven't been able to locate) the Mail Import Assistant so I can set up a new library. Where should it be and can I get a copy off the Apple website?

Can a new index be created manually by me? And would it make any sense to do so?

Why are the messages duplicating, triplicating, quadrupling, an so on each time I open Mail? Is this a Lion issue or a Mail issue?

What does a correct finder view of the Mail folder look like? Can I get a screen shot of one? i.e. is it Mail/mailboxes/XYZ inbox/XYZ folder/messages OR Mail/mailboxes/XYZ folder/XYZ inbox/messages ?

Any suggestions on how to solve so I can have Mail again?

I apologize if this is TMI!

Thank you so much for any help! :)

finder_screen_shots.jpg

Lion OSX Mail Screen Shots.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.