• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple reacts to London riots

Reaction score
Apple reacts to London riots

london1-cjr.jpg

The ongoing London riots, now in their fourth day, have already caused significant damage across the city. Apple, a tempting target for thieves and vandals during the best of times, has reacted as any prudent and sufficiently cautious high-end retailer should during such a time. The Apple Store in Liverpool has entirely cleared out its inventory, and according to TNW several other stores have followed suit.

london4-cjr.jpg

The Regent Street store has closed early with unconfirmed reports of armed police guards standing by, and many stores have police vans parked directly in front of the stores. Several London-area Apple resellers are also clearing stock from their shelves.

london3-cjr.jpg

We've received several reports of 40 new-in-package iPhone 4 units available for sale on Craigslist, possibly related to the looting.

london5-cjr.jpg

With reports on Twitter indicating that at least one of Sony's London-area stores was looted yesterday, Apple's reaction seems particularly prudent. Its products are obviously a high-profile target for would-be looters, and the fact that its storefronts are almost entirely glass could draw unwelcome attention from the vandals currently wrecking their way across London.

So far we have received no credible reports of any looting or vandalism taking place at any of London's Apple Stores, with the possible exception of the Craigslist seller mentioned above.

None of our UK correspondents have been directly affected by the rioting yet, and we wish them and all of the UK a speedy return to order.

Apple reacts to London riots originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 09 Aug 2011 17:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Rioters, regardless of location/nationality, are mindless idiots! Mob mentality is the lowest level of mentality.

We've received several reports of 40 new-in-package iPhone 4 units available for sale on Craigslist, possibly related to the looting.

I hope the police respond to that Craigslist seller and arrest him/her (if the iPhones were obtained illegally).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
This is what happens if criminals don't need to fear the common citizen/shop keeper anymore…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Glad I live outside the urban sprawl. That crap wouldn't fly for long around here. There would be serious men in pickup trucks prepared to do serious things at every major entry point.

Reaction score
I wanted to see just how dumb these looters were, so I emailed one that was selling like 40 iphones and I asked for his name and number...

Conner Garland

My address is:
1 Foxglove way, Little Neston, Neston, Cheshire, CH64 0XQ
Thanks,
Connor

Are they really that dumb?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I wanted to see just how dumb these looters were, so I emailed one that was selling like 40 iphones and I asked for his name and number...

Conner Garland

My address is:
1 Foxglove way, Little Neston, Neston, Cheshire, CH64 0XQ
Thanks,
Connor

Are they really that dumb?

Find a way to get that info to the local constable. Or to Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its a good idea to be careful, but Regent street and covent garden are pretty well policed and saturated in CCTV cameras. The rioting had been happening in the suburbs and we are all getting pretty fed up of the lowlife that are joining in the unrest, with no clear political agenda, just after stealing or destroying whatever they can.

The rumour went wild yesterday that the rioting was heading our way, but North West London was quiet enough when I went home on Tuesday, but there was a strong police presence and many shops had shut early.

My favourite news stories of the events have been about people coming together to clean up, and the Turkish community in Daltson - East London, who basically joined together and closed ranks - scaring any would be looters out of their district.

They didn't beat them up, but kinda made it clear that they weren't going to tolerate thugs causing trouble. The rioters being opportunist cowards weren't prepared to call their bluff.

BY the way, has anybody sent the Criaglist details to the police yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
They smashed up my University/the area around it quite a bit.

I just wish they'd do Kingston in. hate the place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Reaction score
London was having riots & looters? Geez, they told us nothing of this on the local news in the states!
Good thing I'm on the internet again & also have cable tv!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
London was having riots & looters? Geez, they told us nothing of this on the local news in the states! Good thing I'm on the internet again & also have cable tv!

You must have been asleep then. It was in the news for many days and on every major network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.