• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple expands recycling options for old computers, mobile devices

Reaction score
Apple expands recycling options for old computers, mobile devices

recycle-apple.png

Apple announced today that is is expanding and updating its Reuse and Recycling Program. The updated service allows anyone to send their old computers and monitors to Apple to be recycled for free -- regardless of brand. Previously Apple offered free recycling of old Macs and PCs for free for those purchasing a new Mac and for a US$30 fee for those not purchasing a new Mac. Now regardless of whether you buy a new Mac or not, Apple will recycle your old Mac, PC, and monitors for free.

Apple has also added the iPhone and iPad to the Apple Gift Card Trade-In program. The program originally let users trade in an old Mac or PC desktop or laptop and receive a "fair market value" amount for the computer via an Apple Gift Card for use in any Apple retail store or Apple's online store. Now Apple is adding the ability to trade in iPhones and iPads for gift cards as well. Apple partners with PowerOn who pays for the trade-in (and later resells the used machines). If a trade-in is deemed to have no value, Apple will recycle the Mac, PC, iPad, or iPhone free of charge.

[via MacRumors]

Apple expands recycling options for old computers, mobile devices originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 09 Aug 2011 15:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
This is good right? Itll make it easier to switch over to the new iPhone right?

Reaction score
Hmm...there's a few old Winders PCs in my Dad's office that he might want to give up (keep the hard drives of course, they have Linux on them).

If anything, store credit would be nice to have, I'm always shopping for accessories.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hmm...there's a few old Winders PCs in my Dad's office that he might want to give up (keep the hard drives of course, they have Linux on them).

If anything, store credit would be nice to have, I'm always shopping for accessories.

Good luck on that. Unless they are fairly new, my experience is the value of Windows PCs (at least the ones I have submitted) is $0

EDIT: By submitted I mean I filled out the online info to see what kind of credit I would get.

Reaction score
Good luck on that. Unless they are fairly new, my experience is the value of Windows PCs (at least the ones I have submitted) is $0

EDIT: By submitted I mean I filled out the online info to see what kind of credit I would get.

They ran Windows XP at one point, though they probably aren't worth much anyhow. Eh. It'd be nice to get them out of the house anyhow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.