2YO 24" Intel iMac with a dead logic board? Really?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06 ghz 2x2gb 1tb purchased sept 2009
I have been using Macs since about 1990 (Mac SE30). Never had a problem with any of them, until now.

It seems that my unfortunate download of MacKeeper and subsequent uninstall had nothing to do with my screen going white, a mere 2 days after the download. Zapping the PRAM brought back my screen, a few times, but then the screen would go green, orange, red, whatever it felt was the color of the day. I spent way too much time on forums trying to solve the problem, and even took it to a certified Apple repair guy to fix. He is the one who told me about the PRAM and that it probably was the software (MacKeeper). Brought it home and had the same issue.

I found all kinds of interesting fixes on this forum and others: I ran Disk Utililty, AppleJack, Apple Hardware Test, repaired disk permissions and so many other things I don't remember. All of these things said there was no problem with the disk, or that the problem had been repaired, but it wasn't. After a week and a half of searching for a solution, I took it back to the repair guy. After holding on to my iMac without even looking at it for a week, they call me today to tell me that it needs a new logic board—about $850 to repair. No, of course I don't have Apple Care. I have not had a problem with any of my Macs for 20 years, and this one is only 2 years old.

Has anyone heard of a problem like this on a new-ish iMac?

I am leaning toward taking their $200 offer for the parts and putting it toward a new 27" iMac, but then just spent a half hour reading all the problems people are having with WiFi on the new iMacs.

What to do? Any advice folks? Man Oh Man, I am not a happy Apple girl today!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
If I recall, that unit should have a discreet video card that could be replaced without having to replace the entire MLB. If so, that would reduce costs considerably, $400-500 less easily, I would guess. I wouldn't sell it for $200 for parts, as you could get that much easily for just the display. Sounds like they had ulterior motives. One thing to try is to connect an external display to the iMac and see if the issue follows the video controller (the same glitches occur on both internal and external displays) or just the display itself. If it is the display panel, while not an ideal solution, you might be able to get by with an external display until you decide to replace the computer - should be able to get a 23" display for less than $200.

From many users' experience, MacKeeper looks like it causes more problems than it helps, but I doubt it would have any effect on the video processor. I agree that it's just coincidence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
That officially sucks :(

logicboard problems is death to a mac. .cry.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I recall, that unit should have a discreet video card that could be replaced without having to replace the entire MLB. If so, that would reduce costs considerably, $400-500 less easily, I would guess. I wouldn't sell it for $200 for parts, as you could get that much easily for just the display. Sounds like they had ulterior motives. One thing to try is to connect an external display to the iMac and see if the issue follows the video controller (the same glitches occur on both internal and external displays) or just the display itself. If it is the display panel, while not an ideal solution, you might be able to get by with an external display until you decide to replace the computer - should be able to get a 23" display for less than $200.

From many users' experience, MacKeeper looks like it causes more problems than it helps, but I doubt it would have any effect on the video processor. I agree that it's just coincidence.

I am not sure they tried the exact things you are recommending, but he did say that he tested it with another computer, and that is how he determined that it was the logic board and not the video card.

Do you think it would still work with a separate monitor if that is the case?

And/or, if that is the case, is the monitor still worth more than $200?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
If it is indeed the logic board or video card, then an external display won't help. However, I'd suggest if you wish to sell it for parts, you list it as-is on craigslist or ebay for around $400-500 or so for parts. If it is the logic board, then the display is probably fine, the housing is in good shape, I'm guessing the optical drive works fine... put it this way, if he pays you $200 for it, I'm estimating he'll make at least twice that by parting it out.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it is indeed the logic board or video card, then an external display won't help. However, I'd suggest if you wish to sell it for parts, you list it as-is on craigslist or ebay for around $400-500 or so for parts. If it is the logic board, then the display is probably fine, the housing is in good shape, I'm guessing the optical drive works fine... put it this way, if he pays you $200 for it, I'm estimating he'll make at least twice that by parting it out.

After talking it over with my husband (PC lover that he is) I think we are just going to pay for the repair. I am assuming, as you say, that the rest of the parts are probably in good shape since it is only 2 years old, and I really don't think I have the energy to try to sell it on CL or eBay. I need this thing back (for work) and I can't take too much time deciding what to do or I will be losing income as well.

Thanks to all for your advice on here. It has been useful in helping me to make up my mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might consider talking to the folks at PowerBook Medic. They claim they can do a logic board replacement for $500, shipping included. I'm not affiliated with them in any way. Good luck!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
After talking it over with my husband (PC lover that he is) I think we are just going to pay for the repair.

My advice is DON'T pay for the repair (at least not from the folks you're currently working with)!!!

You didn't mention the exact specs of your iMac (you did mention it was 2 years old)...I had to guess at the specs...but it's worth approximately $920 bucks (maybe less if it's older or if I "overestimated" the specs).

To me it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to spend $850 bucks to repair a computer worth $920. That repair will cost you approx. 92% of the iMac's value. That's like having a car that's worth $30,000...and paying $27,600 to have it repaired (all cash out of your pocket)!:(

You mentioned that you were interested in a 27" iMac. You can get this (refurbished) from the Apple Store for $1269 + tax:

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor - Apple Store (U.S.)

HTH...good luck,:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might consider talking to the folks at PowerBook Medic. They claim they can do a logic board replacement for $500, shipping included. I'm not affiliated with them in any way. Good luck!

This is a great idea as well.:)

@KatyDaly: $850 for this repair seems a bit high to me...$500 seems "borderline doable" for an iMac worth $920.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My advice is DON'T pay for the repair (at least not from the folks you're currently working with)!!!

You didn't mention the exact specs of your iMac (you did mention it was 2 years old)...I had to guess at the specs...but it's worth approximately $920 bucks (maybe less if it's older or if I "overestimated" the specs).

To me it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to spend $850 bucks to repair a computer worth $920. That repair will cost you approx. 92% of the iMac's value. That's like having a car that's worth $30,000...and paying $27,600 to have it repaired (all cash out of your pocket)!:(

You mentioned that you were interested in a 27" iMac. You can get this (refurbished) from the Apple Store for $1269 + tax:

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor - Apple Store (U.S.)

HTH...good luck,:)

- Nick

Too late. I already told them to go ahead, and now they are closed for the day. I might try to call them back in the morning and see if I can stop the order for the new logic board.

Their quote was $649 for the new board, $130 something for labor, and the rest was tax. I don't pay the initial diagnostic fee since they are repairing it.

I agree, way too much money, especially now that I know what it was worth. (All I remember of the model # was iMac9,1 I don't remember if I paid for any of the memory or other upgrades) Probably too late to stop the wheels from rolling at this point, and I am running out of steam to fight this battle that has been going on for about 3 weeks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too late. I already told them to go ahead, and now they are closed for the day. I might try to call them back in the morning and see if I can stop the order for the new logic board.

Their quote was $649 for the new board, $130 something for labor, and the rest was tax. I don't pay the initial diagnostic fee since they are repairing it.

I agree, way too much money, especially now that I know what it was worth. (All I remember of the model # was iMac9,1 I don't remember if I paid for any of the memory or other upgrades) Probably too late to stop the wheels from rolling at this point, and I am running out of steam to fight this battle that has been going on for about 3 weeks.

Sorry...but with the additional info you gave (24" iMac 9,1)...that makes this iMac slightly older...and instead of being worth $920...it worth around $870. So again...paying $850 for a repair on a computer worth $870 is not really a good idea.

You've got all the info you need to make an informed decision. If you decide not to go with the repair...hopefully a quick call as early as possible to the repair guys will stop the "repair-ball" from rolling!

Good Luck!:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry...but with the additional info you gave (24" iMac 9,1)...that makes this iMac slightly older...and instead of being worth $920...it worth around $870. So again...paying $850 for a repair on a computer worth $870 is not really a good idea.

You've got all the info you need to make an informed decision. If you decide not to go with the repair...hopefully a quick call as early as possible to the repair guys will stop the "repair-ball" from rolling!

Good Luck!:)

- Nick
I wish I had gotten your other comment earlier, because it might have changed my decision, but at this point I am willing to let the repair ball roll. I have no fight left in me, and unless I win the PowerBall tonight, no money for the $400 or $500 difference between repair and new. Actually, the difference would be more, because I would HAVE to get Apple Care this time, and add tax to that $1269.

Also, I have a few jobs that I put on hold until this gets resolved, so I need the quick fix for now. I seriously considered trying to upgrade this old iMac (PowerMac6,3). Never had a problem with it, other than that the Apple Store where I bought it called it vintage after 4 years and wouldn't sell me more memory for it. I need the memory to run CS4, and I need CS4 for everything I do.

As I think I said before, thanks for all of your comments on here. They truly were helpful in making an informed decision.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish I had gotten your other comment earlier, because it might have changed my decision, but at this point I am willing to let the repair ball roll. I have no fight left in me, and unless I win the PowerBall tonight, no money for the $400 or $500 difference between repair and new. Actually, the difference would be more, because I would HAVE to get Apple Care this time, and add tax to that $1269.

Also, I have a few jobs that I put on hold until this gets resolved, so I need the quick fix for now. I seriously considered trying to upgrade this old iMac (PowerMac6,3). Never had a problem with it, other than that the Apple Store where I bought it called it vintage after 4 years and wouldn't sell me more memory for it. I need the memory to run CS4, and I need CS4 for everything I do.

As I think I said before, thanks for all of your comments on here. They truly were helpful in making an informed decision.

With $1050 bucks to spend (the $850 cost of the repairs + the $200 they were going to give you for it)...I could have suggested some additional options. But it sounds like you've made your final decision.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With $1050 bucks to spend (the $850 cost of the repairs + the $200 they were going to give you for it)...I could have suggested some additional options. But it sounds like you've made your final decision.

Good luck,

- Nick

You're killing me, Nick!:Shouting:

Unfortunately I made my decision yesterday afternoon, before I saw the wisdom of your options. By the time I had seen them, the repair guys closed up shop for the day, so the only possible option was to try to call this morning and try to get them to unorder the logic board that they told me they would order yesterday by FedEx.

Even if they were able to do that and not charge me extra, they were only going to give me the $200 on a trade-in if I purchased the new Mac from them. So I didn't really have $1050 of play money...

I guess what it all came down to was that I need my Mac back ASAP, and I didn't want to hold up the process any further. A new one from them wouldn't have come in until "possibly" Friday.

It may not have been the right move, but it was the smartest one for me, given the circumstances.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.