upgraded to Lion .. wish to switch to MB Air ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Hello friends,

First word will always be of thanks to a forum without who's help i could have never switched to Mac.

I'm using MB Pro - 13" - bought in August 2009.

I upgraded to Lion but the machine has been running very slow.

I'm thinking of moving to Macbook Air 13" - and would be grateful if someone could help me out with this.

Main programs i use is Mail - Calendar - Add Book - Things - Numbers - Excel - Filemaker Pro - Safari - isoftPhone - iTunes - iPhoto - Parallels Desktop

According to one of the Apple store salesman, he could move my entire mb pro settings / data etc. to the new mb air. But i guess if i did that i'd also move a lot of unnecessary old files .....

So i'd rather get the Air and then move only what is required.

For programs like Things - Excel - isoftPhone - Parallels i have the license key - can the same key be used on the new laptop? I don't want to pay twice for the same program. I understand if anything is bought at the App Store then its okay. But what if its not bought at the app store. What should i do then?

For iPhoto, how can i transfer all the photos which have been saved as several events.

And can anybody recommend a good Mac cleaner. I was thinking of Mac Keeper. is it good?

Thank you for the help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lots of questions.....

You can of course migrate everything to the new Air. But bear in mind that the Flash HD in an Air will likely be smaller (but much faster) than the drive in your MBP. You can also selectively move those applications you wish to the new Air. Whether or not you can have certain applications installed on more than one machine will be spelled out in the application EULA.

For example: MS Office 2011 single install version can only be installed on one machine and activated. You would need to purchase the 3 install version in order to use it on both machines. Office 2008 is more lenient.

Mac Keeper is junk ware. Stay away from it. A good safe cleaner and maintenance program is OnyX. It's also free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I would look at why your MBP is running slow since the move to Lion. Troubleshoot that and you may find that you don't need a new Mac.

Have you run Disk Utility and Verify/Repair Permissions after you installed Lion? (also do so once every 30 or 60 days)
Do you have adequate RAM to handle your workload?
Do you have adequate free space on your HDD? (15%-20%)
Do you have a lot of unused apps that you could remove?
Do you have unnecessary utilities or apps running in the background? (open Activity Monitor and sort by %CPU)

As suggested, try OnyX to see if that helps clear things up as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
Have you run Disk Utility and Verify/Repair Permissions after you installed Lion? (also do so once every 30 or 60 days)

Is it really necessary to run Disk Utility every 30 or 60 days? If you have no problems and everything works fine what is the point? I see this mentioned quite a bit to repair and fix errors etc. but I like to subscribe to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it", school of thought.

What is the real deal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Is it really necessary to run Disk Utility every 30 or 60 days? If you have no problems and everything works fine what is the point? I see this mentioned quite a bit to repair and fix errors etc. but I like to subscribe to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it", school of thought.

What is the real deal?

More or less a checkup, if you will. Not 100% necessary but it will help clear the tiny bit of "clutter" that can accumulate. It more depends on each individual's usage - i.e. what apps you're running every day. But it's more of a general approach and you can choose to ignore it. It certainly won't hurt you if you don't run D.U. every 30 - 60 days. No worries. :)

But in the case of the OP and things seem to be running slow, I would do it to possibly help the situation.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is it really necessary to run Disk Utility every 30 or 60 days?

No, that's what OnyX is for.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Thank you chscag
Thank you MYmacROX
Thank you PatM
for taking the time to reply.

1. I downloaded Oynx - one long word reply - woooooooohhhoooooooooo !!!!!
Amazing amazing thing happened
a) My mac runs smoother
b) Earlier 320 GB - available 78 GB
Now 320 GB - available 138 GB !!!!!!
c) Time Machine backup - last backup took me exactly 14 hours
Current backup - 35 GB - its 15 min since i started and its already backed up 3 GB

2. That effectively means i've saved a ton of money and i've saved a HUGE AMOUNT OF TIME. My very humble and sincere thank you again. Nothing can replace time lost.

3. To chscag
I quote you "You can also selectively move those applications you wish to the new Air. Whether or not you can have certain applications installed on more than one machine will be spelled out in the application EULA."

a) How can i know which application can be installed with the same license on another computer - i should email support?
b) I dont intend to use the software on 2 computers - just want to do a clean install and use the existing license. Can i do that?

4. Re iPhoto moving of photos - i made a mistake and posted without searching adequately - i'll try to hunt for the answer again online.

Thank you and god bless.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a) How can i know which application can be installed with the same license on another computer - i should email support?
b) I dont intend to use the software on 2 computers - just want to do a clean install and use the existing license. Can i do that?

Any application that was purchased from the MAS can be installed on the Macs you own. No restriction - and that includes Lion.

Some applications are restricted to only one install unless you specifically purchase a multiple install version. For example: Microsoft Office 2011 Home and Student version is restricted to one install unless you purchase the three install version.

Rule of thumb: If you don't know for sure (no EULA), contact the publisher via their customer support and ask. Or ask here in our forums and someone who knows for sure will reply.

Glad to hear OnyX helped your machine to run better. It's a great app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.