• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Out of disk space

Reaction score
I am doing a project in 1080i and do not have enough disk space for the fisinhed product. This video consumes (25 Mb/sec). Is there anyoe out there with advice around this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
What tools are you using for editing? the procedure for iMovie is different from the procedure for FCE/FCP(6/7), which may also even be different from FCPX

OP
M
Reaction score
What tools are you using for editing? the procedure for iMovie is different from the procedure for FCE/FCP(6/7), which may also even be different from FCPX

I am using FCP 7. I use iMovie to import my footage, convert it and import it into FCP 7. I have not been able to log and capture directly in to FCP 7. If there is a way to do it, it is not very intuitive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Are you using footage from an AVCHD camcorder? If you are, you should be using Log and Transfer, not Log and Capture. I would never use iMovie to import footage for FCP unless ABSOLUTELY necessary - iMovie uses AIC for its storage codec which will store 1920x1080 as 1440x1080 (anamorphic) - which means you are loosing quality right off the bat. When you import with FCP, you'll be storing it in ProRES, which does take a lot of space (more then AIC) but is an incredible codec for editing.

You need to use a drive other then your system drive for your scratch and render space (you should NEVER use your system drive as a scratch drive) - depending on the type of Mac you have will determine what kind of extra drive you can use (ie: Mac Pro - internal sata drive, iMac or Macbook Pro a firewire 800 drive, Older Macbook - firewire 400 drive, more recent Macbook - USB drive) - you will want to transfer your footage to the new drive, then in FCP, go to FCP->System Settings and set your capture and render location to be the new drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
Are you using footage from an AVCHD camcorder? If you are, you should be using Log and Transfer, not Log and Capture. I would never use iMovie to import footage for FCP unless ABSOLUTELY necessary - iMovie uses AIC for its storage codec which will store 1920x1080 as 1440x1080 (anamorphic) - which means you are loosing quality right off the bat. When you import with FCP, you'll be storing it in ProRES, which does take a lot of space (more then AIC) but is an incredible codec for editing.

You need to use a drive other then your system drive for your scratch and render space (you should NEVER use your system drive as a scratch drive) - depending on the type of Mac you have will determine what kind of extra drive you can use (ie: Mac Pro - internal sata drive, iMac or Macbook Pro a firewire 800 drive, Older Macbook - firewire 400 drive, more recent Macbook - USB drive) - you will want to transfer your footage to the new drive, then in FCP, go to FCP->System Settings and set your capture and render location to be the new drive.

I am using a Sony HDR Z5 camera. I used iMovie because I was not able to get FCP to recognize the camera to transfer my footage.
The video I do have will not play through smoothly in my viewer, canvas or timeline. It is stored in AppleProRes 422.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.