SmartNav4 - Assistive device

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a question about using a Windows based product on my New iMac. I'm getting a SmartNav4. I'ts a headmouse made by an ACC company named Natural Point. I have ALS and will need this to operate a computer. The SmartNav is Windows based, but they have subbed out a company to write the software for Mac. It will cost me $300 for the software. Will I be able to use bootcamp to use Windows natively? Or parallel 6 as an alternative?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
Hello all, I have a question about using a Windows based product on my New iMac. I'm getting a SmartNav4. I'ts a headmouse made by an ACC company named Natural Point. I have ALS and will need this to operate a computer. The SmartNav is Windows based, but they have subed subbed out a company to write the software for Mac. It will cost me $300 for the software. Will I be able to use bootcamp to use Windows natively? Or parallel 6 as an alternative?

I defiantly prefer Parallels. I can stay in the Mac environment. I run Parallels full screen and four finger gesture moves me from Windows to Mac to WIndows.

I recommend a lot of RAM. I have 8 GB
Monty

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hello all, I have a question about using a Windows based product on my New iMac. I'm getting a SmartNav4. I'ts a headmouse made by an ACC company named Natural Point. I have ALS and will need this to operate a computer. The SmartNav is Windows based, but they have subbed out a company to write the software for Mac. It will cost me $300 for the software. Will I be able to use bootcamp to use Windows natively? Or parallel 6 as an alternative?

If you have not gotten your system yet and that is your only reason to use Windows check out the Mac version of SmartNav4. They have a Mac version. The Mac version is being sold and supported by the folks at RJCooper. Assistive Technology - NaturalPoint head tracking for people with special needs Phone (800) 752-6673

I am not sure whether there are any significant differences between the Mac and PC versions but the RJ Cooper folks sell both versions. I've had an opportunity to talk with some of their representatives at professional seminars and have been impressed with their willingness to be frank about any differences among the Mac and PC versions of various products.

Note: I am not affiliated with either company.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for replies, My main concern is ongoing support. I cannot find info from actual users on the mac side, and very good reviews on the pc version which has the software already included with the hardware. Also an additional 300 dollars is quite a lot for me at this time. I do appreciate your feedback. It is amazing the amount of quality and usable info these forums contain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
What type of support are you looking for? Apple offers great support online and via phone.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the interactions I have had with the RJ Cooper gang I have been impressed with how far they will go to make sure someone gets the right product.

I had not checked the actual prices of the Mac and PC versions in some time. I thought they were closer in price point. I can see where that difference would be an issue.

I used to have several assistive technology sites bookmarked. If I find anything relevant I will let you know.

OP
J
Reaction score
Maybe I have a misunderstanding about the vender writing the software and OS relationship. Please forgive me if I am asking questions the wrong way, but I would like to know about ongoing updates, patches for bugs, etc....
I am a 1 week old apple convert, I cannot talk anymore, and using 1 finger to type with a mouse and onscreen keyboard, I need to get this right the first go around and just haven't any actual users to respond. I have inquired on hardwares forums with no response yet. I emailed software vender , but it hasn't been 24 hours yet. Will try again tomorrow. Thanks again, and goodnight all !

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would suggest sending an e-mail with your concerns to the folks at RJ Cooper. They seem to be handling these types of questions for the Mac version of that program.

I have seen a product which might provide similar functionality and is listed in the Mac App Store. I will post back ASAP with more info on that.

Also, look for a message from me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I think jccat is looking for ongoing support for the SmartNav4. Have you tried some ALS support sights? Maybe you can hook up with other users via those sights. I'm assuming you checked with the folks at SmartNav4?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Posts moved to it's own thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I found a bunch of apps at AssistiveWare.com. All the apps have a free trial, so you can see if they will meet your needs before deciding whether or not to purchase. I know there are grants available in most states to assist with the costs associated with assistive technologies. It won't cover everything, most likely, but might cover some of it.

On a personal note, my thoughts are with you. My grandfather had ALS, and my parents have managed their local ALS support group in NC since. I contacted them to see if they had any recommendations, but their experience has been with durable medical equipment and lift chairs. They had very little experience with assistive technologies.

I'm digging for more information and if I get anything more concrete, I'll forward it along.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you for all your responses. I am posting for jcat. It seems no one that needs the SmartNav has tried using it with the Windows based system on the Mac. We have searched and queried ALS forums and other "disability" forums. They all refer back to RJ Cooper.

EvenStranger, I'm very sorry about your grandfather. How wonderful, that your parents give there time to help people with ALS, today.

Thank you all again for trying to help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.