imac G4 (half sphere) won't power up

Reaction score
My imacG4 800mhz "half sphere" model suddenly won't start up. It "froze" Friday night in the middle of writing an email. After unsuccessfully trying all reboot methods, I was forced to "power down" at the power strip. Now, when I push the power button to startup, the fan comes on, I hear a brief low pitch "buzz" noise, then 2 sequential HD boot attempt "clicks", then nothing happens.

I have tried all "safe" power up and reset procedures, including opening the access panel on bottom and resetting the PRM on Logic board.

If I blew the power supply, why would the fan still work? Any fresh ideas? I'm stumped. . .

I'm in a time / desperate situation, the data on the HD is important.
Any insight is Greatly appreciated . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No fan with busted power supply. Have you removed the power strip as these do cause problems on accessions. If so, have you unplugged everything from the mains, let it stand overnight, and tried booting?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Like Harry mentioned...I'm also thinking a fried power supply.

As far as the data on your HD. Just pull the HD out of this iMac G4...plug it into a 2nd Macintosh...and you have access to your data/files.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
I had this, even ordered another power supply, but after leaving it for a few days I poked the on switch and it fired up.
Eventually with it still working fine I resold the psu.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.