How to install OS X on fresh HDD? (No other Mac to use.)

Reaction score
I'm installing a new hard drive on a friend's MacBook Pro. He doesn't have the original disks that came with it, but it seems obvious to me that, since it's an official Apple product, it came from the factory with a licensed copy of OS X. Logically, it follows suit that I should be able to get this from Apple at no charge (other than maybe shipping & handling and maybe a small price for the media.)

Apple doesn't seem to see it that way. They want my friend to buy Lion. OK - at $30 it seems worth it to him. Problem is, it seems he can't just go buy a disk that I can throw in, boot up and install from. In order to install Lion, you have to have Snow Leopard already installed. (Sheez! Really?!?!)

I can't see paying for Lion AND Snow Leopard when he already had a licensed copy of SO X on there to start with. I can download a .DMG image of Snow Leopard, but I can't seem to figure out how to burn it to something I can use - using the hardware/machines I have...

I have a single layer DVD writer - no dual layer. (But I have plenty of large thumb drives.) I have a couple of Windows 7 boxes, an OpenSolaris box and a Linux (Mint) box. Everything I've read about creating bootable media for installing Snow Leopard wants me to use tools that are only found on a Mac. I can't believe Apple makes this so painful! (If I'm missing something here, please educate me.)

Can anyone point me toward a procedure that I can use to make a bootable Snow Leopard thumbdrive from a non-Apple machine?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm installing a new hard drive on a friend's MacBook Pro. He doesn't have the original disks that came with it, but it seems obvious to me that, since it's an official Apple product, it came from the factory with a licensed copy of OS X. Logically, it follows suit that I should be able to get this from Apple at no charge (other than maybe shipping & handling and maybe a small price for the media.)

Why would that be logical? It's not their fault he doesn't have it. But yes… they reportedly will let you buy a new copy of the OEM install discs for a nominal fee. Those are highly recommended to keep handy because those and only those have the Apple Hardware Test available.

Apple doesn't seem to see it that way. They want my friend to buy Lion. OK - at $30 it seems worth it to him. Problem is, it seems he can't just go buy a disk that I can throw in, boot up and install from. In order to install Lion, you have to have Snow Leopard already installed. (Sheez! Really?!?!)

Actually they will be selling it on a USB stick later this month. It costs more than the digital download, but then it rightfully should.

I can't see paying for Lion AND Snow Leopard when he already had a licensed copy of SO X on there to start with. I can download a .DMG image of Snow Leopard, but I can't seem to figure out how to burn it to something I can use - using the hardware/machines I have…

He doesn't HAVE his install discs, so no… he doesn't have a licensed copy of OS X. For all Apple knows, he sold it away for $30. But that's besides the point. You are asking for help burning a pirated copy of OS X, which is strictly against forum rules. Naughty naughty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
...You are asking for help burning a pirated copy of OS X, which is strictly against forum rules. Naughty naughty.

Well, yes, but then again...

Is Apple's $30 price predicated on having already paid for Snow Leopard? Or do they ever say that? Do they just say you need it to install?

If the latter, then I personally would do just what this person is doing (presuming I had paid the $30 for Lion). I should think one could Google how...

Seems easiest to just get the USB version.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only way to get lion is from the App Store and you need SL to run the App store and download it. If you get it any other way, it's piracy and illegal.

Apple WILL have a Flash Drive version for people who can't download the version from the App Store. No need to pirate and break the law.

Reaction score
Since Apple will come out with a flash drive but it is going to take a while. I would actually take it in the Apple store and let the genius worry about it. Worth a try...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Everything I've read about creating bootable media for installing Snow Leopard wants me to use tools that are only found on a Mac. I can't believe Apple makes this so painful!
They did it so people like you in this situation can't make a Pirated copy of their OS . . . . Sorry but thats just the way it is ! ! ! !

(If I'm missing something here, please educate me.

Don't make Pirated Software ;)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh Tattooed you gotta larf at these guys antics and it is Apple that is causing the problems!

Reaction score
Hmmm I guess all the answers I was looking for are here.
So basically if we do a clean install we absolutely need the licensed disc that came with the machine.
My friend bought a MBP 17 that was manufactured in 2006. back then it came with Tiger. So does that mean we need to buy Tiger, then pay to upgrade to SL?
The previous owner had SL when he sold it to my friend last year, but the hard drive is defective and I can't install SL from a more recent DVD (from my MBP13 2010). Unfortunately he didn't make a backup with time machine before it busted.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No. Just buy Snow Leopard full retail install version. You may have to look at eBay and such to get it. And do not buy model specific discs - they must be black and not silver/grey.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
Windows is $100 minimum, so why is $30 so much? I used the OEM windows 7 64 bit version for that $100 to install on a MBP under VMWare Fusion, but that doesn't include any support if I needed it. Luckily Windows 7 is actually an easy install.

When I bought Snow Leopard I walked away thinking it was a bargain. Good thing I have the disk because I can't find my original install disk and I needed to reinstall. The SL disk worked.

Reaction score
I have a pretty similar issue. I just inherited a MacBook from my sister who has just bought a MacBook pro running lion. I wish to upgrade the harddrive on the MacBook and was hoping to save time and money by getting the lion install file from the appstore on my sisters MacBook pro (which I'll happily pay for), then using the file, create a DVD to install the lion is straight to the MacBook with new hard drive in.

The problem is a) I cannot download lion from my sisters MacBook as it says its already installed and b) I just spoke to apple who say you still need to have snowleopard as the file once burnt to DVD would only be the recovery partition.

Anyone know if that's correct?

Just trying to avoid the time it takes to install snow leopard - an os I don't want as well as lion, and of course save the cost of snow leopard.

Reaction score
No. Just buy Snow Leopard full retail install version. You may have to look at eBay and such to get it. And do not buy model specific discs - they must be black and not silver/grey.

Thanks harry, I'll look out for that. It would really solve my problem.

Any more comments?

I also saw on a forum probably use iboot and install an original retail version.
This model seems to accept OS X Lion as well, so am I simply better off installing Lion directly?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.