upgrading OS boo boo?

D

ds1919

My friend has a G4.
the OS was 9.0.x

She installed OS 10.x

Now she cannot read/open her files and pictures. I guess she was supposed to have at least 9.1.x OS so the 10.x could use "Classic environment" to open them.

What can be done now, step by step, to ensure that she does not lose her data, and to be able to read/open her files?

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
what error does it give?
do see the files in the HD?
give so more info

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
OSX often needs the .jpg, .gif or other file extension. Does your friends stuff have the extensions?

OP
D

ds1919

the_New_guy said:
what error does it give?
do see the files in the HD?
give so more info

Well, the error she says she gets tells her something along the lines of "if you try to open this file, it may change and become unreadable..." She could not remember off hand when she was telling me. I may have to work from her computer to get the correct syntax.

She does see the files in the HD, they just wont open.

Somewhere, she found that if you have "9.0.x" or earlier, the files are unreadable by "10.x". She was supposed to upgrade her OS to "9.1.x" first, and then upgrade to "10.x".

I will dig into this further today, so stay tuned, and thank you!!

OP
D

ds1919

baggss said:
OSX often needs the .jpg, .gif or other file extension. Does your friends stuff have the extensions?

Hi, I do not know if she sees the extensions. I will ask her and post back.

Maybe if I have her add the extensions, she can open/read the files? Just like a Windows thing?
:p
thanks!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes. Once the Mac recognizes the file type, she can hide (not remove) the extensions, but if she removes them, it may not recognize them again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.