• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone fixing apple products?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I am working on my friends iPhones,macs, and iPods. is anyone else doing this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am working on my friends iPhones,macs, and iPods. is anyone else doing this?

Depends what you exactly mean by "fixing". If I have a computer that has a problem...or if I buy a broken computer...then I'm trying to fix them.

If you mean...fixing Mac's for profit...then that's a different question.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For a profit. Right now i am replacing an lcd in my friends iPhone 3g and replacing the battery in my friends iPhone 4.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I used to repair PCs and other consumer electronics on the side when I was working full time for the US Government as a computer and electronic tech. It can be profitable and at the same time it can also be a headache.

Rounding up parts and having half your home office cluttered with stuff to be repaired gets old real fast. Especially when your better half thinks you can put your time to good use - as in accomplishing the "honey do's". O:)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can see how it gets old. I am 16 now and iot is a good way to make money. It also makes me nervous thinking I could mess something else up also.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think it's a great way for a 16 year old to earn some extra cash. Just make sure that up front the folks whose items you're repairing know you're doing it in your spare time and that you're not a certified repair technician. Regardless, if you do good work, you'll get plenty of business.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just do this for my friends and family. All of them have either iOS devices or macs. I replace mainly screens on the iPhones and they know what i am doing to them.All of the things that i am working on are out of warranty also. It is really fun. I have to say my favorite repair is the graphics card on the ibook g3's but i don't like how hard the bottom cover is to get off.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is the 3g that i just replaced the lcd in.
Photoon8-8-11at904PM.jpg
[/IMG]

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice work. Where are you buying your parts from?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I usually get amazon gift cards and then I buy them from amazon. I am not old enough for a debit card yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
don't ever get one either.. ESPECIALLY a credit card... if you end up with one.. don't get married..

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not going to be replacing the headphone jack in an iPod touch,a whole new display for another 3g and a new display in an iPhone 4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
I buy, sell and repair Apples and Windows PC's. Macs are my obvious favorites. It has been a good side business for me. I got into it after I got laid off from DHL in 2009. Helped out during the unemployment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I know how to do a lot of Apple repairs; as a freelance computer tech, though, I've yet to actually have any work doing it. I had to turn down an iPod repair because the screen was damaged and they couldn't wait for me to order one.

But I've only worked on my own stuff so far:
- Tried to repair the SuperDrive in my MacBook. (I'm sure many mac-forums users are familiar with that unbelievably large thread on Apple's discussion boards about SuperDrive problems.) Still didn't work.
- Later on I just took out the SuperDrive, threw it out, and replaced it with a hard drive.
- Repaired the headphone jack on my 30-gig 5th-gen iPod.
- ATTEMPTED to put a new hard drive in said iPod, but I blew the motherboard in the process. :( (Seriously, ALWAYS wear an antistatic wrist strap!) But hey, it gave me an excuse to get the 160-gig iPod Classic. :)

Reaction score
I neutered my macbook a month ago. He's starting to come out of it. Dashboard only takes 2 seconds to load

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right now I am working on a first generation ipod touch that is stuck in dfu mode and the display is not working. I think that it might have water damage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.