• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Lion Recovery Disk Assistant

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I Just downloaded it to install on a spare flash drive to run as a test with an older MacBook that was recently updated to Lion. Will give results in a bit.

Edit: Looks like I ran out of useable flash drives. Will have to run the test tomorrow after I pick up a couple of new ones at Staples. (They're on sale.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Fool of a download link just will not work. Try again another day!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
So this would negate the need to buy the $69 USB drive from Apple for someone who upgraded from SL to Lion via Mac App Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
So this would negate the need to buy the $69 USB drive from Apple for someone who upgraded from SL to Lion via Mac App Store.

For those who bought the download one from mas would never buy $69 drive.
Just create this recovery app on usb will be sufficient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For those who bought the download one from mas would never buy $69 drive.
Just create this recovery app on usb will be sufficient.

If they remembered to copy the installer to a disc or flash drive before installing Lion.... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If they remembered to copy the installer to a disc or flash drive before installing Lion.... ;)

This utility doesn't need that. It creates it as long as you have a recovery partition on the machine you're using the tool on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This utility doesn't need that. It creates it as long as you have a recovery partition on the machine you're using the tool on.

Right, that was I was surmising when I made my first post in this thread...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Right, that was I was surmising when I made my first post in this thread...

I guess I was confused because you implied differently here:

If they remembered to copy the installer to a disc or flash drive before installing Lion....

I was just making sure people realized they didn't need to do that to use this app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I was confused because you implied differently here:

I was just making sure people realized they didn't need to do that to use this app.

No problem. I was replying to ycl1688's post to clarify that not everyone remembered to make a backup disc/flash drive when installing Lion. Myself, for instance. :Oops:

If I didn't have a backup disc or flash drive and wanted one, I wouldn't be too excited about spending $69 on one from the Apple Store. Hence the reason this utility is a welcome little gift from Apple. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
For some reason (and possibly due to a bad thumb drive) my copy didn't work on my late 2010 MBA. I'm going to get some replacement thumb drives this weekend and try again. BTW, Amazon had 8GB SanDisk thumbs for less than $7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Well this part kind of sucks:
If the computer shipped with Lion, the external recovery drive can only be used with the system that created it.
If the system was upgraded from Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard to Lion, the external recovery drive can be used with other systems that were upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion.

My parents purchased a new iMac and MacBook Pro just after Lion was released. This means they'll have to make a flash drive for each of the computers, as opposed to being able to use just one for both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
situations are getting muddy here. let me clarify a bit, if others agree.
scenario #1 - when you created the back up for the lion os, it can be created on a 8gb thumb drive or dvd disc. This is prior to create external recovery drive announced by apple.

Scenario #2 - after the announcing the external recovery drive news, it can be created on a 1gb thumb drive or sdhc memory chip, this is only after you have downloaded the lion os in your mac.

RONE,

I believe making separated recovery is not a big deal just down load the software and transfer to external drive.
Right now in my hand I have the backup 8gb thumb drive and 1gb thumb drive with recovery software. I doubt I will ever use them, to be safe than sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Will the download of the Lion be in conflict with a purchased thumbdrive version of Lion purchased from the store?

I mean you download Lion. Sometime down the road you need the recovery disc for some conflict (like you have to produce your original SL disk now to fix a problem). If you purchase a backup thumbdrive with Lion on it from the Apple store and try to use that, will that not cause a conflict

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Will the download of the Lion be in conflict with a purchased thumbdrive version of Lion purchased from the store?

I mean you download Lion. Sometime down the road you need the recovery disc for some conflict (like you have to produce your original SL disk now to fix a problem). If you purchase a backup thumbdrive with Lion on it from the Apple store and try to use that, will that not cause a conflict

I believe the one back up (8gb) you made is identical to the apple one sold you. The external recovery drive (1gb) is what you reboot, in case of a crash. I just use my backup to load to another mbp with S/L works like a chime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I believe the one back up (8gb) you made is identical to the apple one sold you. The external recovery drive (1gb) is what you reboot, in case of a crash. I just use my backup to load to another mbp with S/L works like a chime.
I'm saying if you don't make back ups and recovery drives, but purchase a thumb drive from Apple after downloading it from the Mac store, won't that cause a conflict.

It's just my opinion, but there's going to a whole lot of Apple buyers out there who are not tech savvy and do not make these two back up drives. They are going to have some problem in the future that will require the use of some utility stored on the drive. If they will then go to the store and purchase another thumbdrive to access those utilities, it may cause a whole new set of problems.

Again, JMHO, but it's too early for Apple not to issue CDs when selling new operating systems. Apple may be trying to do away with every superdrive in existence, but it seems like we're being forced to give them up, not a natural progression or need(like to save weight in an Air for example).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I'm saying if you don't make back ups and recovery drives, but purchase a thumb drive from Apple after downloading it from the Mac store, won't that cause a conflict.

It's just my opinion, but there's going to a whole lot of Apple buyers out there who are not tech savvy and do not make these two back up drives. They are going to have some problem in the future that will require the use of some utility stored on the drive. If they will then go to the store and purchase another thumbdrive to access those utilities, it may cause a whole new set of problems.

Again, JMHO, but it's too early for Apple not to issue CDs when selling new operating systems. Apple may be trying to do away with every superdrive in existence, but it seems like we're being forced to give them up, not a natural progression or need(like to save weight in an Air for example).
in that situation then if you buy a thumb drive from apple then will make apple even richer ! kidding aside the system will simple mention that you have duplicate copy and install from the thumb drive from apple, if that desperate to recover the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.