Can I do this with Apple TV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
My college's baseball team streams their games online if you subscribe to our school's CBS Sports site. I can watch them on my iMac, but not on iPad. Is there any way that with Apple TV I can mirror what's streaming to the iMac on my TV?

I really don't think there is, but I just thought I would ask. I know you can stream stuff like YouTube, but unfortunately there is no app for the CBS site.

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
IDK if you can do that, i have a different mac, and do not own an appleTV. I do have a work around for you though.

You should refer to this, it helped me a lot.

Basically, buy a cheap adapter, plug it into the iMac Mini Displayport (MDP), on the other end of the adapter there is a female HDMI end. HDMI in there, to the HDTV

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/193239-connecting-your-mac-your-tv.html

I bought the adapter found in post #4 from monoprice.com

However; Your iMac will not send audio from the MDP as mine does. The only thing that will go across the cable to the TV is video.

I came to this conclusion via..
iMac "Core i3" 3.06 21.5-Inch (Mid-2010) Specs (Mid-2010, MC508LL/A, iMac11,2, A1311, 2389) @ EveryMac.com
then click USB ports and then all ports
iMac Ports & Connectors (Mid-2010, iMac11,3, A1312, 2390) @ EveryMac.com
That is mine, it has audio

Yours is
iMac "Core 2 Duo" 3.06 24-Inch (Early 2009) Specs (Early 2009, MB420LL/A, iMac9,1, A1225, 2267) @ EveryMac.com
same clicks... usb, all ports...
iMac Ports & Connectors (Early 2009, iMac9,1, A1225, 2267) @ EveryMac.com
Sadly, no audio.

This means your iMac will play the audio, while the video is on the tv (i think, this is different than my set-up.. so I can't be 100%). You may have speakers from your iMac that will split the difference, or you could buy a chord that goes from audio out on your iMac and put that in the audio in on your HDTV. But, i have no knowledge of that, would be simple I imagine.

good luck

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, that's kind of what I thought on the direct from my mac to the TV. Was really hoping I could mirror what was happening on the iMac to the Apple TV to the Sony TV.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My college's baseball team streams their games online if you subscribe to our school's CBS Sports site. I can watch them on my iMac, but not on iPad. Is there any way that with Apple TV I can mirror what's streaming to the iMac on my TV?

I really don't think there is, but I just thought I would ask. I know you can stream stuff like YouTube, but unfortunately there is no app for the CBS site.

Ahhhh… there is an app for CBS Sports. Does this not offer your school's games?
CBS Sports Mobile for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Otherwise, no, there is no way to play video from a web browser to the Apple TV. Unless perhaps if you jailbreak it. If you jailbreak it and add a web browser on it, then perhaps it will play the videos if they are not Flash.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Beach, but that app is a generic sports app if you will. It gives you sports scores, not a university specific app for your school. CBS Sports.com college network is the one I need and unfortunately it doesn't exist, but I keep hoping that they will come up with an iPad app since they now have over 175 universities signed up with them.

CBS Sports College Network - Corporate Partnership Information

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
With all the devices out there today, you'd think someone would have come out with a device to allow you to mirror your computer to the TV. But, nope. Want to do that, you still need a computer.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Bob. You are the man on this kind of stuff

Bob, let me ask you one question. If I got a mini to do this and hooked it directly from the HDMI output to the HDMI input on the TV, how much impact would the graphics card have on it? I would lean toward the better graphics card & memory for $200, but would that really useful in a media center type application?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.