New iMac - is mine a refurb?

Reaction score
Hi - Just took delivery of my first iMac and have a question :Not-Amused:

When I set it up for the first time someone else's iTines account email was pre-filled into the setup box ... does this mean my brand new iMac isn't brand new?

Paranoid from the UK !

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Direct from the Apple website . . . .

Hmm...can't do much better than purchasing from Apple. I think that your best bet is to contact Apple.

There really is absolutely nothing wrong with Apple refurb's...but if there's the small chance that your iMac is a refurb...you should either exchange it for a actual new iMac...or get a $$$/£££ discount which you would usually get when buying a refurb.

FYI...don't overwrite any of that info that you think is someone else's iTunes info...just in case you need to prove this to Apple.

Good luck,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick response .... I'll be calling Apple tomorrow am I think !!

Don't "think"...DO IT ASAP!;)

Good luck...please let us know what Apple says.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Very simple.

Refurbished machines have a serial number starting with RM for Re-Manufactured Model. Thinking someone has used Auto Fill?

OP
N
Reaction score
Resolved !

Rang Apple - deeply sorry for the mistake/error and a new one is on its way .. plus I can keep this one until the new one arrives.

Looks like this isn't a refurb as the serial doesn't suggest that but was pre-owned/returned as clearly had a appleID associated with it .....

Happy now ...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Resolved !

Rang Apple - deeply sorry for the mistake/error and a new one is on its way .. plus I can keep this one until the new one arrives.

Happy now ...

Congratulations on getting things sorted out. I am a little surprised that Apple didn't give you a small discount or small "freebie" for all the trouble...but in the end the important thing is to have the computer you paid for & want.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Very simple.

Refurbished machines have a serial number starting with RM for Re-Manufactured Model. Thinking someone has used Auto Fill?

I have had a couple of refurb models and none of the serial numbers have started with RM. Is this actually something that they still do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.