Lion O.S. Lion on Windows Small Business Server 2003

Reaction score
I'm hoping to find some answers on this issue.

Our office just purchased a new MacBook Pro with 10.7. I have already joined this MAC to the Active Directory Domain and everything seemed to be working fine. The employee using this computer came to me with the following issue and I'm stumped:

If she saves any file to her desktop and then re-opens it later it is fine. If she saves a file to the shared drive on the server where everyone else saves files, it will save the file. When she tries to re-open the file off the shared drive it gives her an error that the file is locked or you do not have the necessary access privilages. The other error she gets (with .pdfs) is "There was an error opening this document. This file cannot be found." If someone else on the network tries to open, move, or delete the file they get the same errors.

This happens with all types of files created and saved. (Word, excel, pdf, Illustrator, etc.) If she opens a file on the server created by someone else, makes a change to it, and then saves it, it becomes unaccessible as well. :Confused:

She has the only MAC on our network running Lion. The other MACs on our network are running Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Any help with this issue is extremely helpful.

Reaction score
10.7 pdf

I have a macbook pro with 10.7 Lion. I can download pdf forms and open them without difficulty. However when I download ebooks from the library and try to open them I have no success. I have downloaded several books using all the adobe e reader files I can imagine.:Grimmace:

OP
jshelton0055
Reaction score
I'm not downloading pdfs on this MAC. She is using CS5 and creating images in our creative department. She also is having this issue with Microsoft Office 2010 programs.

If she opens a document that was created by someone else and makes a change then saves it, it locks the file out and cannot do anything else with it. No one else on the network can access the file either afterwords.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
disregard... old version and going the wrong way, windows clients to mac server.

OP
jshelton0055
Reaction score
EvenStranger - Thanks for the article and this may work but on my end it won't because after the employee saves the file she has no access to it herself. The file is locked out from everyone including my admin credentials.

I think I may have a work around on this though. I decided to delete her Mobile account on her laptop that she was using that connected her to our server automatically. She is going to try to just log in through the Admin account on the MAC and manually connect to the server through Finder.

The only thing I really found that the Mobile account was good for was connecting to the network automatically upon logging in. She will have one extra step in the morning to begin working but it beats having to interrupt others and losing work that she has spent hours on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
With the admin account you can still login to any server at start-up

Just login to the server in the finder and mount any shared points you want access to

Go to  menu > System Preferences > Accounts and bring up the admin account

Go to login items and just drag and drop any server shares into login items and they will mount on login

OP
jshelton0055
Reaction score
louishen - Thanks a great deal!!! That saves her even more time of having to wait on the server to connect.

That worked great!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.