The Sims 3, New MacBook Pro 15"" w/ Lion, CAN IT HAPPEN??

Reaction score
Ok so heres the thing, Ive heard a lot of negative feedback stating that The Sims 3 does NOT work well once people have upgraded to Lion.
But I did not upgrade to Lion, I bought my MBPRO with it.
Now according to my research, most of these crashes are caused due to the fact that these macs do not have the preferred/needed graphics card.
Now I plan to install The Sims 3, all expansion and stuff packs. Also install new ones as they are released. What I need to know is will they run decently on my MacBook Pro before I go buy the games.
Here are my specs.

Computer: MacBook Pro 15" Version 10.7

Build: 11A511

Processor: 2GHz Intel Core i7

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 / Type: GPU / VRAM (Total): 384 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Serial-ATA: Intel 6 Series Chipset, TOSHIBA MK5065GSXF - Capacity: 500.11 GB

This mac has "Thunderbolt"

Not sure if this is too much info lol, but I really need some help.
I have a 500GB Harddrive, and still have about 450GB left, so I know I have enough of that. Just don't know if the graphics and what not are ready for this. I really want to have my sims on my mac though.. Please give me your feedback.

Reaction score
Box says Intel GMA X3100. Don't know about X3000. If there is one I would download trial and try it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Computer: MacBook Pro 15" Version 10.7

Processor: 2GHz Intel Core i7

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 / Type: GPU / VRAM (Total): 384 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Are you 100% sure of these system specs? The only 15" MacBook Pro with a 2.0ghz "i7" cpu that I can find has the Radeon HD 6490M graphics hardware.

To be more specific (from Everymac.com):

"*This system has dual graphics processors -- an AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics processor with 256 MB of dedicated GDDR5 SDRAM and Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384 MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory."

I'm pretty sure that the newest model MacBook Pro Apple has to offer shouldn't have a problem running Sims 3.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I forgot to add the AMD Radeon HD 6490M one,
are you sure?

Am I sure of what?...that Sims 3 will run on your laptop?

If you want more confidence that Sims 3 will run on your computer...contacting the developers of Sims 3 is probably the best action.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also remember that Sims 3 is not a brand new game...it's been out for a while. Your computer is actually NEWER than Sims 3...so there is/was no way for the developer of Sims 3 to include your computers specs to 100% convince you that Sims 3 will run on your computer (of course they could update their website)...but they don't always do this.

Here's the Macintosh system specs for Sims 3:

System Requirements - The Game - Community - The Sims 3

Notice at the bottom it does list more compatible video hardware for the Macintosh. But still remember...your Macintosh is newer than Sims 3...thus your computers video hardware isn't listed.

This happens all the time with software. Newer computer models are always being released...and thus their hardware specs are not always listed on the software system specs on the package or the website.

HTH,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't know what the OP heard about Sims 3, but from their forums and other inputs, it flat out does not run in Lion. And waiting for Electronic Arts to fix it may be a futile effort. (It's an old game.)

We've been answering quite a few posts about Sims 3 as it's one of the more popular games. So far the news about getting it to work in Lion has been all bad.

Reaction score
hey,

i'm sorry for renewing this issue,

I got the same hardware (on a macpro 15' with a matt screen, dunno if that matters?)
and actually Sims 3 runs quite well, not perfect, but o.k.,

BUT the graphics are totally gross? they simply look like sims 1, at least somehow ;)
it's totally not what it should look like or what it actually looks like on a pc.
Lines are not lines, but something like stepping down, the sims are sims but not realistic as they should be. speed is all well, tried to increase the solution and details in the sims menu itself, but yeah....nothing happened. Found no glitches yet, though. It's simply a matter of resolution, I guess.

Is there yet any patch or trick or whatsoever available to make it look better? i actually couldn't find anything...

As i started the whole sims 3 the first time it actually said that it probably would work that well since the graphic card was not the one needed (but better!? or did i dream that it said this?)

Please help!
It really want to sims again ;)
Thank you in Advance,
m.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.