MBP won't recognize new hard drive (installed)

Reaction score
Hi,
My Macbook pro won't recognize newly installed hard drive. I tried installing 2 different 500GB WD hard drives and neither was recognized by the computer, even when booting up from the OS DVD. Both drives work fine as externals. I copied the internal drive to the 500GB WD before installing it using disk utility. I'm running Tiger still. Any help would be appreciated!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi,
My Macbook pro won't recognize newly installed hard drive. I tried installing 2 different 500GB WD hard drives and neither was recognized by the computer, even when booting up from the OS DVD. Both drives work fine as externals. I copied the internal drive to the 500GB WD before installing it using disk utility. I'm running Tiger still. Any help would be appreciated!

Did you format your new HD to Mac OS Journalled with Disk Utility after installing?

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!
I did the Mac OS Journaled with Disk Utility while I had it in the external case, then I copied the internal (old) drive with the OS & applications, then put the new 500 GB drive in the laptop. The computer would not boot up, just a "?" mark folder on the screen. I then used the OS install DVD to boot up, but hard drive would still not show up. Finally, I put the old/original HD back in the laptop and it works fine. I know the 500 GB works- I am using it now as an external drive, works fine.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply!
I did the Mac OS Journaled with Disk Utility while I had it in the external case, then I copied the internal (old) drive with the OS & applications, then put the new 500 GB drive in the laptop. The computer would not boot up, just a "?" mark folder on the screen. I then used the OS install DVD to boot up, but hard drive would still not show up. Finally, I put the old/original HD back in the laptop and it works fine. I know the 500 GB works- I am using it now as an external drive, works fine.

Try this since you have an external case and at least two copies now of all your files.
1) Reinstall the new HD
2) Boot from your OS Dvd and then go to Disk Utilities
3) Erase (reformat) the new HD (assuming Disk Utilities sees it)
4) Do a clean OS install
5) Use Migration Assistant to move your files from your old drive (now in the external case)

Reaction score
Hi,

Hi folks!
i know this post is old, but i'm having some troubles... I'd appreciate any help.

Fact:
I installed a new WD HDD Scorpio Blue (160GB) in my MBP (late 2009) and used the Original Snow Leopard DVD to boot up. So far so good.

Here come the troubles:
  • The HDD doesn't show up. I even don't see it in the Disk utility (in order to properly format it)
  • I then thought the new HDD was defect and plugged into a WINXP System. But there, it is recognized. I formated it to NTFS and plugged it back into my MBP
  • But still nothing
  • The cable in my MBP aren't defect, as my old (defect HDD is still) recognized properly.

I am really lost. Please help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check the drive to see if it has any jumpers on it. If it worked in your PC it should work in the Mac assuming it's a SATA HDD. Otherwise, I would take it back for a refund or exchange.

Reaction score
Check the drive to see if it has any jumpers on it. If it worked in your PC it should work in the Mac assuming it's a SATA HDD. Otherwise, I would take it back for a refund or exchange.

Thanks chscag for the reply.

I did take the HDD back and get a new one, but same problem.

So, i then bought an enclosure and connected the HDD to the MBP via USB. It worked as a charm. I was then able to format it and install Leopard on it.

But then again, i reinstall it into the MBP and tried to boot ==> Same old problem... The new HDD is still not recognized :Confused::Angry-Tongue:. The old defect one is though...

It is such a HDD: Amazon.com: Western Digital 250 GB Scorpio Blue SATA 3 Gb/s 5400 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive - WD2500BEVT: Electronics

See, there is no jumper set on it. I can't configure it either as master or slave...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My eyes aren't nearly as good as they used to be, but it sure looks to me as if there was a jumper visible in position 2 in the third picture of the drive on that page. Very hard for me to tell; you have the actual drive so I will take your word for it that there isn't one.

But, in that case I am clueless as to why Disk Utility won't see it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
If i am not mistaken that is for a thermal sensor connection. I hw ever could be completely wrong :)

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies.

I'm just coming back from the apple store. The problem was the cable (the cable inside the mbp connecting the hdd to the board). They couldnt explain why the old hdd was still recognized and the new one not. They charged me 50€ for changing it. And, everything's now working fine again :D

I'm gonna think of buying a new mbp though.

Really, thank you all

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.