Getting a new iMac

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Getting my first new iMac after years of being a PC user. After all the viruses and bluescreens I got fed up with my 8 year laptop with xp. Going on wed night to pick it up from the local apple store.

I'm going for the base model imac 21.5 inch screen i5 500gb and 512 vram.

Would you know if this would be able to edit a GoPro Hd on imovie or final cut?

I also want to do a bit of web editing, playing on garageband and making the missus think that its a tool not just an expensive toy.

Would this model suit me?

Cheers,

Mick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I think the best thing you could do and not spend a lot is to upgrade the ram. It's less expensive to buy aftermarket. Crucial and OWC sell it. You can get the most bang for the buck and you can install it yourself.

Regards,

Pat

C

chas_m

Yes, GoPro movies should work fine in iMovie and/or Final Cut. You will need to export the movie in HD via QuickTime (MP4) *before* you attempt to upload it to YouTube. I've seen reports that iMovie can't *directly* upload full 1080 HD to YouTube.

Reaction score
You should be fine with that setup. As the above poster stated (2nd post), get the stock configuration of RAM and upgrade it from another site online. It's a lot cheaper and only takes a few minutes to upgrade it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Cheers Guys :D

I suppose its a bit drastic as i'm only really editing my own kitesurfing movies but i've always wanted an iMac. Thanks for advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.