Stop using Time Machine Help

Reaction score
Hello there. I have a 320 GB external hard drive which I have been using as my "Time Machine." It recently filled it up and I would like to move the data (files, music, pics, etc.) to a larger external hard drive.

HOWEVER, I don't want this new drive to be another "Time Machine." I want to store files here in an archival fashion in my own folder structure.

Can anyone help with which particular files I should be copying from the Time Machine (I am just opening it in the finder window, I am not launching Time Machine itself)? I don't know a lot about Time Machine but I know that hard links are created and I just want to make sure I get the right data copied over.

Thanks for any help.

OSX: 10.5.8
Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
If I'm understanding you correctly, you just want to move/copy your library of music, photos, etc to another external drive. Instead of copying these out of your Time Machine backup, wouldn't it be much easier to copy them directly off your Mac?

OP
E
Reaction score
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to do, and I agree with you that it would be much easier to just copy them off my imac. However, I have a lot of files backed up to the Time Machine that I later erased from the imac's hard drive, so they only exist on the Time Machine drive...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.