Lion unchangeable print settings

Reaction score
Last week I installed Lion (OS X 10.7) on my iMac G5 (intel). After becoming comfortable with it, a few days later I installed Lion on my MacBook Pro (intel). Both computers are networked via Time Capsule. My Epson R1900 printer is directly connected to Time Capsule. According to epson.com support I have the latest driver (version 8.60) for Lion installed.

When I go to print on my G5 my previous defaults are missing (Routine, Standard, B/W Economy, etc.), only Default shows and I can find no way to change or save new settings as before. I go to System Preferences and it shows that the current and default settings are set for premium photo paper and photo print quality that I do not use for everyday printing. I have repeatedly deleted and added the R1900 using System Preferences - Print & Scan without effect. I can find no way in System Preferences to solve this problem.

I have determined this is independent of the print settings within applications software (Word, Excel, Firefox).

The puzzling thing is that I have no similar problems printing from my MacBook Pro with Lion! I still have all my choices in the Print window I had with OS 10.6.

This problem on my iMac G5 did not exist with OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.). Therefore, I conclude that I must have inadvertently changed something somewhere on my iMac G5, or else this is an Apple system issue. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Probably not what you want to hear but you could try a reinstall and then just pull all of your data from a backup? I guess it depends on how badly you need to change the print settings... I found that Fresh installs of Lion seem to work much better than upgrade. I have seen a number of unexplained Lion issues when installed over the top of Snow Leopard for instance. I hope u get to the bottom of it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacOS Sonoma
PRinter settings are best changed using the CUPS preferences via Safari:
http://localhost:631 and select Manage Printers to change printer settings.

C

chas_m

I just have to point out that there is NO SUCH THING as an iMac G5 Intel. It is EITHER a G5 *or* it is an Intel. It cannot be both.

In the OP's case he clearly has an Intel iMac, as he's running Lion on it.

Reaction score
Yeah i noted that too lol! Since he seemed a bit green i didn't wanna spoil his parade lol :) Lion only runs on intel!

Reaction score
No problem :)

Hi,

I had the impression that the printer settings are unchangeable, like you.

They are not. Only the user interface is very confusing and misleading.

This is how it goes:
on the top of the dialog, the second drop down box contains the settings. There you find all the details of your printer settings. This is only a view, no chance to change anything.

On the bottom of the printer dialog you find a button "details". If you press it... tataaa.... again you see all the settings, this time changeable.

I don't understand why Apple chose this confusing user interface. (And the view part is wrong. In one case, the view said duplex is off and the change dialog says duplex is on. It prints with duplex on)

Hope this helps,
Gerd.

P.S. no need to do a clean install ;-)

Reaction score
I have an Epson 3880 network printer. After Lion upgrade from SL, my printer settings looked strange plus I couldn't print. Had to remove the printer and re-install the drivers, after which, my settings looked normal again. I believe Apple installed it's own drivers for the printer which probably accounts for the settings panel looking different.

Also, I had to recreate and save my presets. They were gone...even before uninstalling the printer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.