Backing up on Time Machine

Reaction score
I have 4 internal drives including a Raid System.

My first drive has Snow leopard and the rest data. Now when I try to back up my main drive, it uses all drives to back up on one

I know there is a way to do one on one but I can't find answer on the net.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have 4 internal drives including a Raid System.

My first drive has Snow leopard and the rest data. Now when I try to back up my main drive, it uses all drives to back up on one

I know there is a way to do one on one but I can't find answer on the net.

It'd help to know more specifically how you have your RAID configured (which type, how many drives of the 4 are in it, etc) and what method of backup you are currently using.

You can clone any single partition to a backup using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. They will even do incremental backups by copying only what was changed during the last session.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have RAID 5 but may be I worded my question wrong

I just want to back up my drive that has OS x on it with TIME MACHINE. Is there a way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have RAID 5 but may be I worded my question wrong

I just want to back up my drive that has OS x on it with TIME MACHINE. Is there a way?

Yes. Add anything you don't want backed up to the exclusion list in Time Machine's preferences.

OP
J
Reaction score
ok that was easy but the raid doesn't show up in exclusion list...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok that was easy but the raid doesn't show up in exclusion list...?

Can you please detail exactly how your RAID volume is set up? Are ALL of the drives being used in a RAID volume, or just some of them? Is OS X on a drive that is not part of a RAID volume? When you click on your computer name in Finder's sidebar, what shows up there?

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't set it up. Osx is not part of raid. In finder I see my raid drive as a normal drive

OP
J
Reaction score
and also what show are two internal drives which i want to exclude. they are not shown in exclude list

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and also what show are two internal drives which i want to exclude. they are not shown in exclude list

Are you not able to drag/drop them from Finder into the exclude list? Or click the + button and add them that way?

OP
J
Reaction score
that did the trick thanks and apple wanted me to sign up for apple care to this question

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.