Gray Screen of Death in Mac OS X Lion !

Reaction score
Hi all..

I have MBP 17", I have upgraded to Lion once it was released and it was working perfectly, no issues at all, until last night suddenly I got a blue stripped screen and could not do anything so I forced rest it, when I switched it on again, I got access to the system but once I start using it the screen got overlapping and froze ! could not do anything as well, so again I forced rest it, but this time I cant even access the system, I get the gray screen with Apple logo, then Apple logo disappear and I only get the gray screen and cant access the system or do anything else !

I tried to do disk repair and seems all is good.

Any advice ?
Should I downgrade to SL and wait till the next update of Lion ?
If yes, how I can downgrade ?

Thanks in advance.
Imad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have MBP 17", I have upgraded to Lion once it was released and it was working perfectly, no issues at all, until last night suddenly I got a blue stripped screen and could not do anything so I forced rest it, when I switched it on again, I got access to the system but once I start using it the screen got overlapping and froze ! could not do anything as well, so again I forced rest it, but this time I cant even access the system, I get the gray screen with Apple logo, then Apple logo disappear and I only get the gray screen and cant access the system or do anything else !

I tried to do disk repair and seems all is good.

Any advice ?
Should I downgrade to SL and wait till the next update of Lion ?
If yes, how I can downgrade ?

Which exact model MacBook Pro do you have? There is a known problem with some related to the nVidia GPU, with a temporary fix available.
NVIDIA drivers giving 2010 MacBook Pro owners Lion upgrade headaches

OP
I
Reaction score
I have MBP 17" 2011, i7, 8GB, Anti-Glare Screen.
I dont have the nVidia GPU, I have Intel and AMD !!

The problem is still on, but now I can access the system, I can use it for few minutes then the screen get overlapping, its like if my screen split into 2 parts, the right side goes left and left side goes right :S its totally missed up and then it freeze, I cant do anything but force kill !

Tried to search the net regarding similar problem but every one who suffer from similar problems are having a black screen, which I dont !

Any idea ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have MBP 17" 2011, i7, 8GB, Anti-Glare Screen.
I dont have the nVidia GPU, I have Intel and AMD !!

The problem is still on, but now I can access the system, I can use it for few minutes then the screen get overlapping, its like if my screen split into 2 parts, the right side goes left and left side goes right :S its totally missed up and then it freeze, I cant do anything but force kill !

Tried to search the net regarding similar problem but every one who suffer from similar problems are having a black screen, which I dont !

Try booting into Safe Mode. If successful, you can troubleshoot from there, but I'm at a loss to give specific recommendations at the moment. You may have some 3rd party drivers or software that is causing the problem. Take note of my signature...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.