Restoring from Backup with Timemachine

Reaction score
Hi there. I recently purchased a macbook, just the bog standard one running OSX 10.6.3 and as it was lagging I was instructed by apple to reinstall OSX. BEfore I did this I backup with a external HDD using time machine. After the reinstall finished I selected to restore from backup. However it hasnt worked. All the data I need is still on the external HDD and simply wont move to the mac one, I tried going through time machine and nothing happened. Then I moved the files manually through finder but all that happens then is they copy over then simply disappear. For some reason somethings have restored such as my user data, wallpapers and general settings. Iphoto managed to restore but instead of copying over each event, I now have 10,000 photos in one event! Anyone know of anything I can do cos im stuck! Cheers for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Try using the install disk to restore your Time Machine backup. It is an option on the title bar pull down.

Reaction score
I would NOT reinstall. I assume you were having problems with your software; by reinstalling you may simply be putting back what was giving you problems.

Instead install from your disks, and then when it boots up the first time use Migration ***'t to bring the stuff over, as if you were doing an upgrade. You may have much better luck.

Rob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.