macbook pro heating and making lot noise after installing lion

Reaction score
i've installed lion on launchday and still my mac heats so quickly and fan sometimes starts as soon as i turn computer on
and all i'm using is safari, itunes, frostwire and some small apps
and lion also takes longer to startup n shut down
i've got 2.4ghz intel core duo processor and 4gb ram

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure you have a Core Duo processor? Lion will not install on a Core Duo as it needs a 64 bit CPU, Core 2 Duo or later. You might want to open your Activity Monitor.app and see what else might be running in the background and using the CPU. I have found Lion to be faster than Snow Leopard on both my machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2010 15" MBP; late 2012 11" MBA; iPhone 5
Chscag, did you do a clean install of Lion? I upgraded to Lion on top of my Snow Leopard (2010 MBP) and I have found several small areas of relative sluggishness -- opening files in Preview; getting to the login screen upon waking the Mac; saving files in Word 2011; and other minor stuff. (my keys do not remember their backlit settings when switching between users, either, now.) I was wondering if I should do a clean install at this point.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was tempted at first to do a clean install but thought I'd try the upgrade to see if it went well. As it stands, the upgrade installed without a hitch and Lion actually runs faster than Snow Leopard. I also installed it as an upgrade on an older MacBook from 2008. That too turned out better than I expected.

Note though... The first machine I installed Lion on was a 2011 iMac that didn't have much on it. It was only one month old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
I agree with you, chscag. I also did not do a clean install, upgraded my machine. Overall, I also agree that Lion is much faster, though have also noticed one of the problems CmdAltEgo is reporting as well. Preview has taken a while to open some file types. This is after I did a bunch of messing around with my icons, however, and have yet to do any clean up operations. But yes, clicking "open in preview" on a .icns file I had open in quicklook saw Preview hang for about 20 seconds (considering my SSD screams, I'm going to say it's probably not hanging on a disk read).

I've noticed a couple other minor bugs, but overall, Lion runs faster than SL does for me. 2GHz core 2 duo with 3MB of L2, 180gb ocz vertex 2, 4gb of ddr3 1066mhz ram, and a 1066mhz fsb. I think the major difference for me on my machine is apple finally enabled the 64 bit kernel for this model, which before since lacking the "pro" designation (depsite nearly identical hardware, i.e. logic board is the same, and chassis etc) was locked out of being able to access the 64 bit kernel (holding down the 6 and 4 keys still booted the 32 bit kernel, but now 64 bit is default, even!). Now that my kernel can crunch data at twice the bitrate, the SSD is shining through in system tasks even a little better than it was before.

OP
S
Reaction score
ahh sorry i mean core 2 duo
it heats up so fast n it's so noisy n i feel loooot slower than snow leopard
i didn't do clean install i upgraded from sl

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, thanks for clarifying that. If the machine is heating up fast, the fans may be clogged or perhaps not even running. Download the free SMCFanControl which will give a read out of the fan(s) RPM and also CPU temp.

Post back the results and we can go from there.

OP
S
Reaction score
temp is 62c
and fan speed is 4072
i'm just running frostwire and safari (6tabs)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The temperature and fan speed are a bit high. Should be around 55 C and 3000 RPM. Have you looked in your Activity Monitor to see if anything else is going on?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is your MBP covered by warranty or extended Apple care? You may have a hardware problem that needs to be diagnosed properly. I don't believe Lion is responsible for the heat build up and increased fan RPM.

You can on your own run the Apple Hardware Test to see if it comes up with anything.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how to do that in lion?

That's a good question. I haven't looked close enough at the Lion recovery options to see if a hardware test was included. However, if you still have your original Snow Leopard DVD set, you can always run the AHT from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.