Customising a MBP

Reaction score
I'm looking trick out a new model i7 quad core MBP, but have some Q's. Primary purpose of the machine will be Protools operation, but I also want to expand into basic video editing - ie - film clips for bands, basic promo and youtube type stuff. I'm guessing Final Cut will be my software of choice here, but i'll do more research before jumping in.

Regarding the MBP - I have a new Intel 320 SSD I plan to use as a primary drive, and i'll keep the 7200 RPM drive relocated to a secondary so I don't have to record to external HDs. Where can I source one of the custom brackets seen in the clip below that holds the HD where the super drive would be?

‪Installing 2 Hard Drives in MacBook Pro - Data Doubler - 240GB SSD Installation‬‏ - YouTube

Also, I really need to learn up on graphics cards. Should I look for the 1 GB graphics card option or stick with the base 15" 256MB graphics? I don't play games, nor any will I be doing any 3D animation... just the stuff I first listed above. Will a bigger graphics card be beneficial or will my uses be best served with a bigger CPU?

I have to keep an eye on my spending, luckily i've sold my old MBP and I should only have to come up with $1K to get a real beast. I only want to open it up once to get all this done, so all tips, suggestions and advice is most appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
I think you will do just fine with the basic graphics card. As for the bracket to install an extra harddrive you could go with optibay however that is expensive. You can find cheaper ones on ebay.

OP
C
Reaction score
OK, I just bought a MBP 2.2 i7... can't wait to get it!!! A bargain at $2000 brand new (well... a bargain in Australia)

I've looked up the optibay brackets, but none specifically state compatibility with current MBPs... can anyone throw me a bone here? Not sure if 2010 model brackets will fit or not :eek:

C

chas_m

Che:

a. I love your handle. That is awesome.

b. I have to point out that you really should wait until the warranty is expired before doing anything more than adding RAM. Voiding a brand new machine's warranty is just asking for HEAPS of trouble.

OP
C
Reaction score
I might put off the optical bay swap, but the SSD has to go in sooner rather than later... a 5400 RPM HD speed is just too slow, and I have the latest Intel SSD ready to drop into my new Mac.

I should've gotten a 7200RPM drive, but that mod would've forced me to buy via Apple Aus and pay $500 more (comparative to other global Apple stores we're paying 20 - 25% more)

FYI - this won't be a DIY job, i'll definitely hand it over to a Mac repairer to get it sorted

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.