So who wants to help with my yearbook cover?

C

chas_m

I think you've done a really lovely job there, might suggest finding a font with a bit more flair for the title, otherwise it's spiffy.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Some notes I did on your cover.

1. I would bring in the text on the bottom of the 2011 so that it lines up on both sides.
2. Use a different typeface or a different weight for the "Australian Science..." etc part. IE. Bold, medium, heavy etc.
3. Use less leading between the two lines so they are a little closer. Might disregard this part depends if you change the font.

Since there is a lot going on with the graphics you want to make the written word part be a unit/box for easy reading.

20110807-pfr863tucfj1expe1j5mr86w2x.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I have a degree in graphic design. There is no 'right' way for a layout. There are guidelines to go by. Usually if it looks 'right' it's good.

Don't know if the design under the text title is important, but it seems redundant, almost a space filler. Try moving the design elements like so:

View attachment zdaID.png.pdf

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I have a degree in graphic design. There is no 'right' way for a layout. There are guidelines to go by. Usually if it looks 'right' it's good.

Don't know if the design under the text title is important, but it seems redundant, almost a space filler. Try moving the design elements like so:

In the layout that Blingies has now it needs it there, or something cause it would be an empty void without out.

Your layout does use the space better, but I would remove the the smaller symbol all together.

I don't like seeing text going vertical, but that's just me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I agree with CR, although I'd prefer to see 2011 widened and bound by the width of the text below, there's space for it. Given the proximity to the other elements a stroke might be appropriate on the text as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
The most important part of any layout is the subject or title of the piece. As it stands in the current layout, the title is pushed to the corner to 1/4 of the whole design. With a lot of good graphics taking up all the spaces, but they are essentially only background graphics. They are meant to accentuate and compliment the title not to overshadow the title. In this case, it's taking spaces from the title. Just give the title more spacing that it deserved and at the same time you still have plenty of spaces for the creative graphics.

Keeping the above in mind, you can still move things around in a variety of ways and still have a good layout that will look 'right'

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The most important part of any layout is the subject or title of the piece. As it stands in the current layout, the title is pushed to the corner to 1/4 of the whole design. With a lot of good graphics taking up all the spaces, but they are essentially only background graphics. They are meant to accentuate and compliment the title not to overshadow the title. In this case, it's taking spaces from the title. Just give the title more spacing that it deserved and at the same time you still have plenty of spaces for the creative graphics.

Keeping the above in mind, you can still move things around in a variety of ways and still have a good layout that will look 'right'

I have to agree that yellow wave takes up a lot of the space and is pretty dominant in the composition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.