• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

duplicating MY DVD's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MacBook Pro, new 2013 21.5 IMac, iPad (retina)
My cousin made a video memorial of his mother after her death. He sent a copy to me for my mom. She would like to send a copy to her sister in vermont.

How can I duplicate this non-copywrited dvd for my mom?

Macbook pro, snow leopard bought new 7 months ago.

Thanks in advance for any help.

C

chas_m

1. Insert the disc. If DVD player starts up, just quit it.

2. Open Disc Utility in your Utilities folder.

3. (read the help file if you need a more lengthy explanation, but) Make a disk image of the DVD. Be sure to select CD/DVD master as the option.

4. Once that is done, eject the original DVD.

5. Insert a blank DVD.

6. Select the disk image you just made (which should now be visible in the left-hand menu of Disc Utility) and press the burn button up tom.

Repeat steps five and six to make more copies.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MacBook Pro, new 2013 21.5 IMac, iPad (retina)
Thanks for the info. Worked like a charm.

I admit the change from PC's to Macs is a bit harder than I thought it would be, mostly because it seems like apple makes it difficult to accomplish any task that I could do in a few minutes on a pc. That is just because I've used a pc for so long.
I know in a little while the MAC will seem just as easy for me to use as my no longer used PC.

The people on this forum and their willingness to help us new users is a great thing. Thanks again for all your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.