Upgraded to OS X Lion 10.7 - Now my Samsung ML-1710 printer isn't working!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I upgraded to Mac OS X Lion 10.7 last night. Everything seems to be working great, but I tried printing today on my Samsung ML-1710 and it doesn't work. The printer app opens up and keeps saying "Error" for the job.

Per some other forums, I deleted the Samsung ML-1710 printer under "Printer & Scan" in System Preferences, but now I can't find a compatible driver anywhere online for my machine.

Can someone PLEASE help me out with this? I have a lot of things that I need to print for and am totally at a loss for what to do! :'(

OP
S
Reaction score
I found this page that has a .dmg for the driver that worked when I had Snow Leopard, but now whenever I try to open up the Installer in the .dmg for this file, it gives me the following message:

"You can't open the application Samsung SPL2 Installer because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?! Can I not use my printer now that I have OS X Lion anymore?

C

chas_m

Probably not until Samsung decides to write a Lion-compatible driver for it (hint: don't hold your breath).

Old printers are very VERY rarely supported when the OS undergoes a major upgrade. I thought everyone knew that.

This thread might help you. Some have reported success by (basically) stripping out the Linux driver and adapting it:

Samsung ML-1710 Print drivers not working-help!! - MacRumors Forums

Good luck!

Reaction score
Samsung ML-1710 Printer not working on Lion

Mating a Dell 1110 Laser Printer & Mac OSX « Conzone

use the SPlix solution, working fine on LION;)

Hi all,

I upgraded to Mac OS X Lion 10.7 last night. Everything seems to be working great, but I tried printing today on my Samsung ML-1710 and it doesn't work. The printer app opens up and keeps saying "Error" for the job.

Per some other forums, I deleted the Samsung ML-1710 printer under "Printer & Scan" in System Preferences, but now I can't find a compatible driver anywhere online for my machine.

Can someone PLEASE help me out with this? I have a lot of things that I need to print for and am totally at a loss for what to do! :'(

Reaction score
I guess if everyone start complaining to Samsung helpdesk something will change. I had an identical issue with the 2500 series. I decided to just let the printer rot in space; was thinking of office space all the while, just didn't want to damage my bat ;-)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.