Daisy Chain External HD's?

Reaction score
As far as I'm aware you can plug one FireWire hard drive in to you Mac and then daisy chain the other FireWire drives off of each other and your Mac will pick up all of the drives individually.

I don't know what the maximum amount of drives you can daisy chain is so hopefully someone else will confirm this for you.

OP
J
Reaction score
great, sounds the firewire interface is not an issue. I suppose that the transfer speed will suffer from using a lessor, correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The way firewire works, the speed should not be reduced unless you put the slowest interface first. So if you have 3 fw800 devices and a fw400 device, put the fw400 device last in the chain. The maximum # of daisy chained devices, I believe, is 63.

OP
J
Reaction score
very good, thanks again everyone. Now I'll just need to figure out how to transfer all my content from my Windows NTFS drive to a MacDrive, 1 TB worth :).

I appreciate your help!

C

chas_m

In the future, Thunderbolt drives will be able to do this as well (daisy-chain).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.