iChat Video Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB
(cliff notes version: If you're reading this because you can't figure out why you can't make video calls with iChat. Go turn on your firewall, add ichat to the application list then turn the firewall back off [if you want it off]. Don't ask me why this works it just does.)

Okay I just want to start this off by saying that this will mostly be a thread of me complaining. Consider yourself warned.

So I've always used Skype 2.8. Never had problems with it always loved it. When Skype 5 came out I avoided it like the freaking plague because of the hideous UI. Well then comes along OS X Lion and I figure.... I can use Skype 5 even though it's so huge now because of full screen apps and mission control with lion. So I download it.... don't like it but it's not a huge problem I get over the UI. Well moving past he UI it also eats up soooo much cpu and it crashes anytime I call anyone. I've complained to the Skype community and it seems pretty clear that the Mac version of Skype isn't really getting fixed anytime soon because Microsoft took over. So I move on to iChat because my girlfriend lives on the west coast and I live on the east and we talk with Skype a lot. So iChat won't let me call ANYONE. It keeps telling me the call wasn't accepted from the other person. Which just isn't true. I google it and find that there are problems with the firewall sometimes and other things with the router. I've spent the last week looking through my router and all that trying to figure out what he problem could possibly be. My firewall is off so that can't possibly be it right?

WRONG!!! Today I turn my firewall on... go into the advanced options and add iChat to the list of accepted applications... and then turn the firewall off again. Now lo and behold I can call people on iChat again!!!!! WHY does my firewall block applications if the firewall is OFF?!?!?! OFF should signify NOT RUNNING in any way shape or form. I don't understand why it should matter if my firewall accepts ichat communication if the firewall is off. It should accept EVERYTHING. That's the point of having it OFF.

Okay so I've gotten that out of my system and I feel a little better. If you're still reading at this point thank you for putting up with my b*tching and if you have any answers as to why this happens please share them. I'm open to ideas because I have 0.

C

chas_m

I'm glad you found the solution, but I don't have an answer for you. A bug perhaps? Might want to report it to Apple (in calmer tones, probably). :)

OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB
Lol today has been one of those days. I snapped on someone in another forum this morning and he made me feel like a terrible person when he responded later. I'll definitely try to use calmer tones and I'll definitely report it to Apple thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.