Filesharing in Lion

Reaction score
Hello,

recently I updated my Mac to OS X Lion and since then the filesharing with Windows 7 machines doesn't work anymore:

My brother's PC and we use the same router. By that he was able to access my music, documents and other stuff.

But now the box with my name in System Preferences -> File Sharing is unticked and if i want to tick it my machine asks for a password to enter which is neither my system password nor the network password of my brother's PC.

Anyone has the same problem or a suggestion how to make filesharing between PC and OS X Lion work?

Thanks in advance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
F
Reaction score
But if I change any settings and the Mac asks for the password, my password is accepted...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Have you set SMB sharing up? Might want to go in and check on the per-user basis.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm sorry, I had assumed you were unlocking the Sharing preference. It sounds more like you've successfully done that and are now being prompted for credentials to authenticate to your brother's machine.

Here's a fairly comprehensive guide I would encourage you to review:

File Sharing Mac OS X Lion and PC Windows 7 | Mac OS X

And let us know how you make out.

OP
F
Reaction score
@ Dysfunction:

I have set the SMB sharing up.

@cwa107:
Step6 - second picture is the "end" of what is working

and my brother says that at Step9 - second picture he tried to log in with my username and password but it didn't work.
But he entered the netwerk not by typing the IP address into the text field but he just clicked at "network" on the left at the Windows-Explorer (ref.: http://windowsteamblog.com/cfs-file...stAttachments/00.00.50.26.86/userprofile1.jpg) and then double-click on "MACBOOKPRO...":

OP
F
Reaction score
And just for information the green light is on and it says: "File Sharing: On".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.