Macbook dropped, trying to re-install OSX but won't read HDD

Reaction score
Hi, just dropped my macbook a couple foot onto a hard surface. It doesnt go past the screen with the apple logo and cog so I tried putting in the OSX disk and rebooting holding C, All goes well until it gets to the part where it asks to choose a place to install the software, the HDD doesnt show up.

Any advice before I take it in to Apple?
Many Thanks.

Sean.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'd be willing to bet your hard drive just needs to be reseated to the connector. What revision of the MacBook is this? Plastic or aluminum? Approximate age?

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you may have damaged your hard disk drive.

It's unlikely that your had disk has become loose or dislodged from it's connector as they are normally screwed in to place - but it's always worth a check as you never know your luck.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds to me like you may have damaged your hard disk drive.

It's unlikely that your had disk has become loose or dislodged from it's connector as they are normally screwed in to place - but it's always worth a check as you never know your luck.

On the plastic MacBooks, it's held in place by friction (rubber rails). It wouldn't be easy to do it, but it's possible to get it to dislodge enough from the SATA connector that it wouldn't be recognized.

Reaction score
On the plastic MacBooks, it's held in place by friction (rubber rails). It wouldn't be easy to do it, but it's possible to get it to dislodge enough from the SATA connector that it wouldn't be recognized.

I guess it's true when people say that you learn something new every day!

:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess it's true when people say that you learn something new every day!

:)

It helps that I just finished replacing one for a customer with an early 2008 white MacBook last night ;)

OP
cryingoutloud
Reaction score
Hi, its the black macbook, about 4 years old, plastic. I have taken out the harddrive via the white plastic tab and re-inserted it, also checked RAM. All looks ok, but still no luck. I'm guessing HDD is damaged, is there any point in trying to take it apart myself? Maybe something just came loose?

Thanks again, sean.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, its the black macbook, about 4 years old, plastic. I have taken out the harddrive via the white plastic tab and re-inserted it, also checked RAM. All looks ok, but still no luck. I'm guessing HDD is damaged, is there any point in trying to take it apart myself? Maybe something just came loose?

Thanks again, sean.

The header that the drive seats into has a lead that runs to the system board. Theoretically, it could have come loose as well at that end. But that would require more substantial disassembly.

Check out repair guides at:

iFixit: The free repair manual

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And helpdeskrules is right - it could easily just be a bad hard drive. If that's the case, you won't know unless you replace it.

Reaction score
I'm guessing HDD is damaged, is there any point in trying to take it apart myself? Maybe something just came loose?

Hard Disks tend to be air-tight as even something as small as a smoke particle can cause your hard disk to fail if it gets under the read/write head.

A hard disk isn't generally repairable I'm afraid so if it is the hard drive then it's time for a new one.

They can only handle so much shock and dropping it on the floor causes quite a lot of G-Force on your drive.

Out of curiosity was it powered on or off when you dropped it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.