mac mini hardware Q

Reaction score
I am drooling over the specs I read about the new mini and it's new mini price. Can I, an old G4 user, use an outside drive for my older software that Lion won't run? I read on Lowendmac about stepping backward to Snow Leopard, would that help? Could I run the 10.4 drive off of it, say as apartition on the Lion main drive. I can't see buying an older mini or G5 for almost as much money, but my color-it and photoshop are very important in my line of work.
thanks, theArtman

C

chas_m

I am drooling over the specs I read about the new mini and it's new mini price. Can I, an old G4 user, use an outside drive for my older software that Lion won't run?

Nope!

I read on Lowendmac about stepping backward to Snow Leopard, would that help?

Nope! Can't be done ... new Macs cannot run (as in CANNOT) any OS lower than the one they shipped with.

I can't see buying an older mini or G5 for almost as much money, but my color-it and photoshop are very important in my line of work.
thanks, theArtman

If Photoshop is important to your work, don't you think you should invest in keeping it up-to-date?

Color-It is still being developed, but the dev says they haven't gotten a new 10.7 compatible version out yet, so you may want to hold off for a bit. You may also want to look at alternatives and "plan Bs" for Color-It if they don't get their act together (I'm sure they will, BUT it never hurts to know what "plan B" would be if you needed it).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.