• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Remote Administration via Internet.....HOW ?

D

danteferris

I am trying to find a way to access my external hardrive connected to a Powerbook G4 via a D-Link wireless router, whilst on the road I sometimes need to access files that are not on my mobile laptop but sit in my external Hardrive in my office back in London, does anybody know how or if this can be achieved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I usually do it through Apple Remote Desktop, and then I open up the required port in my router and I am good to go. So I would look into ARD, or there are other VNC programs out there also...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17", 2.33 GHz Intel Core II Duo, GPS, 3GB RAM, 200GB HD
I am trying to find a way to access my external hardrive connected to a Powerbook G4 via a D-Link wireless router, whilst on the road I sometimes need to access files that are not on my mobile laptop but sit in my external Hardrive in my office back in London, does anybody know how or if this can be achieved.

Western Digital (WD) has a 1 and 1.5 TB external drive called My Book World Edition, which you can access remotely. It works best with a PC, but I have it working on my Mac (on the local net). It plugs into your Ethernet and takes care of making itself visible outside your router.

Remotely, you'll want to have a PC available, or Parallels running Windows, because I haven't been able to use the Web interface with my Mac. :Grimmace:

The 1TB drive runs $350.

=E=

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
The easiest way to do this is to set up a VPN and share your backup drive on the network. A VPN is a Virtual Private Network, which allows you to login to your home network from anywhere in the world using the Internet. Once you connect, your computer will act like it's actually plugged into your home network, so it can see all of your shared files. Here's some good (and free) VPN software for Mac:

http://hamachix.spaceants.net/

Here's a good tutorial on sharing files:

http://macs.about.com/cs/tipstutorials/a/xp_osx_sharing.htm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.