Application To Take Frame By Frame Screenshots?

Reaction score
First off, Hello to everyone. I'm new to these forums but have gleaned a lot of valuable information from them in the past. It's nice to be a member of them now.

I'm looking to find a free application I can use to take frame by frame screenshots of a portion of video with. A friend gave me a free application that did what this but it was quite awhile ago and I can't remember the name of it. All I remember is that I could move through the video clip frame by frame and the application itself had an action "Screenshot". This came was nice because it took a screenshot just of the video even when it wasn't full screened. So I could hit "Screenshot" click to move up a frame and hit it again, etc. etc. I used this to get the frames to put into "GIF Quick Maker" to make animated gifs. I have "Screengrabber" but it seems to be for compiling an image of screenshots summarizing the entire video. Also it doesn't seem to work well except with a few video formats. I have HD video in WMV format and can't open it with "Screengrabber" for example.

Can someone recommend a free application or tell me if there's something I can use that's already on my Macbook Pro to take frame by frame screenshots with so I can use them to make animated gifs?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You can use the keyboard command Shift+Command+4. That will give you either a cross hair (to select the area you want a screen shot of) or a camera icon (to take screen shot of the entire window). You toggle between the two methods with the up arrow on the keyboard. That's a native method and the only one I use.
The screen shots are saved to your desktop as .png files. You can open them in Preview and change their format by "save as" to any location you want. That's when you get the option to select file format.

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm aware of that but it doesn't address being able to move through something frame by frame. Plus I have to select the video area manually when taking a screenshot every time I move a frame. That was why the "screenshot" option on that program was so useful. There has to be a better way than manually selecting the area.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of OSX are you running? Quicktime in Snow Leopard and Lion allows you to do Screen Recording. I have used it many times to demo something to some one. Works very well and you can record as much as you want. You might want to give that a try.

C

chas_m

The program you were probably using in the past and can still use now is VLC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.