Spinning ball after installing Lion?

Reaction score
Hey guys..

I have been dealing with the spinning ball for quite sometime now and after upgrading to Lion I thought it would stop but I was wrong.

Here is what happens:
Spinning ball appears when browsing on safari, or using any other program and it appears at random. It will spin for about a minute or sometimes longer. I am able to move the cursor and hovering over the dock shows all the apps there. But I can't open anything else. Sometimes it takes so long that I have to reboot.

What I've done:
I have used disk utility and the disk has no errors.
I have tested the memory and there are no memory errors.
I did a fresh install of leopard and then moved over all programs etc.
I now did an upgrado of Lion
I cloned the hard drive to another hd using carbon copy cloner.

The spinning ball persisted.
My mac is a 2010 white macbook with 4gb of ram and a 320GB WD hard drive with 200gb of FREE space.

Warranty is gone I believe.

Any suggestions?

I am now thinking that it may be a program that may be causing the issue and not hardware related. I recently uninstalled Frostwire to see how that helps if at all.

THanks for any input.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What you might want try is to do a fresh install of Lion and see how it behaves in that stock mode for a while, then install applications one at a time and try things out for a day or so in between applications and see if any of them causes the problem to occur..

Your Macbook should definitely be able to ruin Leopard/Snow Leopard/Lion without any problems with 4GB of memory..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Issue can be caused by an application that is not compatible with Lion.

After upgrading to Lion, I suddenly had the spinning beach ball in Safari ... I uninstalled Flash Player and all is well now.... never seen the beach ball again and it has been a week now.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.