Speeding up photoshop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I am very new to the mac world, and so far very nice...

Wondering if anyone in the forums has any tips for ensuring Photoshop CS2 is running optimally.

Also, I am considering putting a second HD in and partitioning a part of that specifically as a scratch disk for PS to use. If anyone has done this I would like to hear your experiences.

I just upgraded the system from 3gb RAM to 6.5 (2 512 simms for sale :mail: )

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Odin_aa said:
Wondering if anyone in the forums has any tips for ensuring Photoshop CS2 is running optimally.
.....I just upgraded the system from 3gb RAM to 6.5
Thanks.
I would say that you already have ensured that it will run optimally, then.
:black:

OP
Odin_aa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I was hoping for either Mac or Photoshop preferences that would make a difference. The hardware side of the issue is taken care of (well, minus not having the dual 2.7 and only the dual 2.3)

I dont think the video card would be an issue, and I did only purchase the Raedon 9600. I wanted one with 256 MB SDRAM, however the MAC store I bought from only stocked the base models and wanted to special order any non-standard models instead of performing upgrades in store.

I just hate to wait for smart sharpen or some other filters used when performing the function on a large file.

B

bobbydazzler

with the machine you have (i wish i had what you have) i think you will be running it as fast as it goes, i guess somethings you just have to wait for (that sounds quite deep)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
Odin_aa said:
I am very new to the mac world, and so far very nice...

Also, I am considering putting a second HD in and partitioning a part of that specifically as a scratch disk for PS to use. If anyone has done this I would like to hear your experiences.

I just upgraded the system from 3gb RAM to 6.5 (2 512 simms for sale :mail: )

Thanks.
Well, if you do the partition and set up the scratch disk, that'll help quite a bit. Other than that, I am of no help. When I set up my scratch disk, there was a bit of difference in optimizing its speed. Especially on start up. I think I'm going to partition my other drive to fill in the last scratch disk.

As far as taking care of the hardware side... You did a pretty good job. Has there been a noticeable difference in speed since the upgrade of the hardware?

Also... Can you give me the info on the RAM if you still have it available? I may be interested. Just not sure if its compatible with my Dual 1.8 Power Mac G5.

Thanks.

OP
Odin_aa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TTheInfamous1 said:
Well, if you do the partition and set up the scratch disk, that'll help quite a bit. Other than that, I am of no help. When I set up my scratch disk, there was a bit of difference in optimizing its speed. Especially on start up. I think I'm going to partition my other drive to fill in the last scratch disk.

As far as taking care of the hardware side... You did a pretty good job. Has there been a noticeable difference in speed since the upgrade of the hardware?

Also... Can you give me the info on the RAM if you still have it available? I may be interested. Just not sure if its compatible with my Dual 1.8 Power Mac G5.

Thanks.

I will have to get that second HD and set part of it up as a scratch disk...

There was a definate difference when I put the additional 4 gig RAM, however my file sizes are routinely over 100mb so when I run a smart sharpen or other memory intensive filter the wait can still be a minute or more. Yes, I am impatient and like immediate results.

For the RAM, My father had several open slots so I gave it to him...sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
Odin_aa said:
I will have to get that second HD and set part of it up as a scratch disk...

There was a definate difference when I put the additional 4 gig RAM, however my file sizes are routinely over 100mb so when I run a smart sharpen or other memory intensive filter the wait can still be a minute or more. Yes, I am impatient and like immediate results.

For the RAM, My father had several open slots so I gave it to him...sorry.
That's okay. it was worth a shot to ask anyway.

I'm the same way. I like things to happen immediately. That's my impatiens and being too d@mn picky.

Also, when working in Photoshop, I turn off the Energy Saver "Put the Hard Disk to Sleep Whenever Possible" option. Most times when working on a photo and I need to "zoom" in to scan for imperfections, which may take some time and looking at it in normal size isn't always easy. The Hard Disk sometimes falls asleep on me which then gives me the "Beach-Ball" in-turn stalling on the results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.